Appen

Appen Employee Reviews

Looks like a good part time

I just got selected for one of their projects but taking too long to actually start. Selection process was quick and easy for this project but taking too long for others.. If they Pay what they say, it's actually good money for the time and work that I'm going to do...

Horrible project management

The work itself is easy enough but the project managers were so incompetent it made communication difficult. If you’re desperate for work it’s fine to hold you over until you find something stable.

Good workplace, nice colleagues

Well organised interview process, nice and supportive team and management, overall good workplace, but lack of work life balance sometimes, and limited career progression.

Pros

Good workplace, nice colleagues

The WORST support I've ever experienced in my life

This and Appen China have the WORST support I've ever experienced in my life. More than two months later I still have an unresolved issue of not being properly compensated for working on a project. The support takes weeks to answer or just outright ignores your follow-ups asking if there's any progress with your ticket. The best way is to spam the tickets like a lunatic for anything to happen at all, and even then the support asks you things that are clearly outlined in your original ticket (for example, a project name). Do not do business with these hacks, you deserve better.

It's aight

Easy work, but low pay. Not much job security so try to have more than one project. I would reccomend this as a part time job. Theres a lot of flexibility too. I can work anytime I want. There's usually an hour limit for the day/week.

Great

Web search evaluators have an important role in ensuring the accuracy, quality and relevance of information found in the results of search engine queries. A career as a web search evaluator can be a flexible and rewarding experience for individuals interested in research and analytics, current events and computer science.

Can't make a career out of it.

Not a place to make a true living, there is no guaranteed work, it is very rare to get selected for one of their gigs, and there seems to be no way to really know what to do to get selected for these positions.

Pros

Work whenever you want.

Cons

Job selection is sketchy at best.

BAD -- just REALLY BAD

Started September 2022. Kept getting offered project after project after project. Would apply to these offered projects and take the quizzes to be accepted, only to be told more or less: "Um, yeah, we MIGHT let you work this one. We'll let you know." Out of 18 offered projects, I was only able to work ONE. It was only for social media evaluation, but it wasn't hourly. It was just a questionnaire task. It took about 15 minutes, and you could only do it once every two weeks at 5 bucks a pop. Today, almost exactly two months after signing on with them, I get an email telling me my contract has been terminated. No reason given and no explanation. But I kept getting offers for new projects AFTER receiving the termination email. So, I messaged them about it; and all they did was repeat the termination email: "Your contract has been terminated. Good luck." Worst company I ever had the misfortune of working for. . . or doing "tasks" for, I should say.

Pros

The few tasks I did were easy. That's about it.

Cons

Flexible hours working gigs but work availability is abysmal

Having flexible hours and working remotely is nice. However, there is no sense of community and you have no 'manager' for the gigs I worked. I was never directly put in touch with a human for a single project that I worked on. Not even training or onboarding. I can't speak for W2 positions but the contract work pay is abysmal and you will never feel valued or even noticed as a worker.

Pros

Flexible hours, Remote Work depending on the project

Cons

Very low work availability on many gigs, contract work, slave wages

Buen trabajo, horrible follow up y soporte

Es un buen trabajo, desgraciadamente al ser freelancer pueden botarte cuando sea

Trabajo que te da mucha libertad

Pues los proyectos son interesantes y hasta divertidos, pero se terminan de repente y te toca no trabajar ni ganar dinero por buen tiempo, es bueno como una segunda fuente de ingresos.

Pros

Buena paga

Cons

Mala comunicación

Boa empresa, mas precisa melhorar

Empresa com modelo moderno que tem muito a melhorar. Falta contato direto com os colaboradores, é tudo automático. Falta volume e aceitação nos trabalhos uma vez que você recebe por projeto. Minha conta foi encerrada com dinheiro parado que nunca mais vi, uma bagunça.

Great job for sahm

Worked here for 7 years. Rating positions are difficult to come by, but once you reach auditor, work is more steady. I like that it was very flexible and I could put my home life first.

Remote work with self-managed project which is interesting and has room to grow

I am working with machine learning projects which are fun. The fundamental research part is limited, just about implementing existing approaches, and the boundary between the research scientist and ML engineer for product development is unclear.

Pros

Remote work, flexible time, friendly team members

Cons

company vision unclear, may be stressful due to project short-time planning

It's okay if you're desperate for a little extra income, but frustrating as all get out.

The place is a bit of a joke. They give you the most basic guidelines you're supposed to follow for your ratings, but they don't take *actual* complexities into account. the "examples" they give you in the guidelines are obvious, and they give no help for things that might be more difficult to rate. And when you follow the guidelines and they flag it as wrong, they rarely tell you why in any detail. Asking for clarification rarely results in an answer. I did, however, have several of my flags reversed after citing the guidelines. When there is work its tedious, and the pay is simply not great. Its fine if you just want a little extra spending money but dont bank on paying rent with the job. You are limited in the hours you're allowed to work, but I will give them credit where its due. The single best part about this job is truly making your own hours. Work when you want, as long as you work the minimum required they didnt really care if it was from 9-5 or 11pm-2 am, then again from 10am-3pm, or whatever. They dont give a single fook about their employees though. When California passed CA AB-5 which forced companies to hire workers as employees, instead of complying they just fired every contractor in California.

Contract

Got to work on different types of projects, each was pretty unique. Very flexible schedule wise, had to know what you were doing or you can be dropped from a project without notice.

Empleo remoto con buena remuneración (a veces) pero con intermitencia de trabajo

Es un trabajo que siempre está en los extremos de pros y contras, así que se podría decir que se mantiene balanceando, sin embargo, hay que tomar en consideración que así como hay temporadas en las que te puede ir de lujo, existen temporadas en las que te truenas los dedos, por lo que hay que tomarlo como un ingreso extra.

Pros

Trabajo remoto y muy flexible

Cons

Intermitencia de trabajo

What is the best part of working at the company?it paid relatively well for independent contract on web search evaluation projects What is the most stressful part about working at the company?the management of contractors is haphazard and contractors fall through the cracks What is the work environment and culture like at the company?mechanistic

Fun place

It’s own perk and everything you get at this job. Work and fast pace as per position. You can stay for longer with salary increase in benefits and other

Easy work, sporadic workload

The work is relatively easy, but for the project that I worked on, there was not a lot available.Overall I enjoyed the work, but I wasn't making enough money to justify staying.

Very low pay

This is a work at home part-time job with a flexible schedule meaning you can work whenever you want with a minimum of 10 hours and a maximum of 26 hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appen. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Appen with

• Appen
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?