Appen

Appen Employee Reviews for Independent Consultant

Independent Consultant29 reviews

Flexible schedule, but the project you're working for can be over within a day

It's a great freelance job. I really enjoyed the work from home option. You can work anywhere, anytime you want. However, they remove you from your project in a sudden without giving you some times to apply for a new project.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

No job security, low pay, no compensation for qualification test

Flexible time, okay sideline

Flexible time, but it is only good as temporary job or a sideline type of work. There is no certainty when a project ends, and sometimes you will be surprised they cut you off even though you have excellent feedback and rating.

Independent Consultant

Very flexible position with decent pay. Lot of data entry and analysis. You must be available at least one day of the weekend, but it's your choice. You can break up your shifts and work 2 hours in the morning, 2 hours in the afternoon, and 2 hours in the evening.

Pros

Flexibility, good pay, break shift into smaller segments, you choose your hours daily

Cons

Only part-time Have to work 1 day of the weekend

Work from home

Good job but there is no job security and you can be accepted onto projects and then not have access to them for many months. It's more to be done as a side gig than expecting full time as there are no guarantees.

Flexible job

I liked working for Appen because it allowed me to set my own time. I was able to travel while being employed with them. That being said, there is almost no room for growth in this company.

Pros

Remote work

Cons

No career

No Job Security

It's great to be able to work on your own hours, and that fosters a good work/life balance. However, there is absolutely no job security, and projects are often terminated with no notice.

Great consulting gig

I work with Appen for great consulting projects and the various tasks, which I find fulfilling and engaging. The work-life balance is the key feature of this role.

Flexible remote job

Working at Appen has its pros and cons. It is an online job so you have the flexibility of choosing when to work and working from home. However, the pay is low, there is no job security, or room for advancement.

Very flexible hours, but the cons outweigh the pros

I've been an independent consultant with Appen since 2015. I love the flexibility to work remotely from anywhere I have an internet connection. However there is no potential for advancement, no guaranteed employment, no benefits, and the pay is barely above minimum wage and only part time hours. A project can end out of nowhere and you're just out of luck. They try to place you in another project but it still takes a long while and the pay also differs depending on the project. Working with Appen has made me passionate to never take contract work again, because overall, it is not worth it.

Company Task

The company has a set list of guidelines that it requires for each different assignment. These must met before you can be assigned a job. The job assignment sometimes is quite difficult and there may be times that it is easy to go over the time given for the task.

A Good Side Hustle

I've been doing projects with Appen for over 3 years now. The company is definitely going places and developing rapidly. I only wish that FT benefits were available and I could make it my full time job. Working flexible hours from my own home makes this a perfect job.

Pros

Flexible hours, working from home

Cons

No healthcare or PTO benefits.

Online company

This was an online, work from home position. All contact was done online and it was easy and quick to get answers/information back. Setting up payment options was easy, and you always got paid on time.

Great place for remote positions

I happy to give a review on this job performance and give positive results. I like the assignments and results. I would like an increase in production time for all contract workers.

Pros

Great projects and assignments

Cons

Need to provide more schedule production hpurs.

Low rate for consultants in the Philippines

A good opportunity for those who want to look for a part-time job, however the pay is way too low compared to other companies. Appen offers only $3 per hour for contractors in the Philippines whereas its competitors pay double which is roughly $6 to $10. I highly suggest to the CEO of this company to raise rates in the Philippines because we also pay monthly subscription to internet plus our electricity. The pay is not totally worth it.

Pros

offers extra hours sometimes

Cons

low rate for contractors in the Philippines

Flexible working hours

It is a part-time work from home job. It gives me freedom to work at my own time. It helps me maintain a good work life balance. With flexible working hours it makes it easy for me to concentrate on my family.

Providing Services as a Freelance Independent Consultant - Not Permitted to Report as Employer

I love what I do and I'm ecstatic to be providing services for this company. Not permitted to provide details, but I am very happy with this partnership.

Love this job

This is a remote position using Social Media to rate content. They are helpful and they respond to problems in a timely manner. The qualifications to get the job were easy. I recommend this company to anyone looking to make some easy money.

Coal miner's job of the internet

Job is great when it comes to flexibility and remote work -- a requirement for me. However, my experience is there is very little to no interest in developing or promoting contractors or every offering a full time position to dedicated contractors. Contract is key here, meaning no benefits, no worker's rights, no real concern for contractors, leaving you just a tool for their profiteering. I'd been with the company for 2 years with no cost of living adjustment or raise, because there are no raises for contract laborers, and you really don't have the power to renegotiate your contract because you are only a sub-contractor. You are required to maintain a high level of accuracy and productivity, but little to no feedback from auditors about how you can improve if your quality struggles. You're just expected to know why you were wrong based on their rules for rating. Company has gotten a little better about compensating for 'work-related' activities which is still mostly unpaid like many of their competitors in this field. Don't expect your position here to be admired by any kind of hiring manager, like I said, you are basically working in the coal mines of the internet. No employer will respect your position here, I had to completely change careers and dump this off the resume. On a final note, this company is better than most of the other options out there. They are better paying than Leapforce. I really can't recommend working for Leapforce, a similar line of work, unless you want to get locked out of being able to work and wait a month until you are restored only to get -

Pros

remote, flexible.

Cons

part-time, no benefits, no raises, little support, little skill development.

Decent Remote Job (Not Enough Individually)

I worked for Appen as an Independent Consultant, which was a remote position for my area. This is not a position to use as a stand-alone job, especially if you have bills to pay, but you may be able to make some extra cash. Communication between management and workers could definitely be improved.

Pros

Remote Opportunities, Flexibility, Some Fun Work

Cons

Some Jobs May Be Dull, Lack of Communication, Pay/Wages for Contractors

Easy money.

This job is perfect for those who are looking to make some extra money on the side. It is easy and you can do it any where at anytime by using your smart phone. The pay is really good and convenient.

Pros

fast money, work any where at any time, use your smart phone to do the job.

Cons

your eyes get tired, must be very descriptive, you will ended up reacting yourself about.

Relaxed and easygoing

I enjoyed working for Appen Global. It's a great part time job for anyone looking to make extra money, or for anyone that is a stay at home parent as well. It's only for an hour a day, the hardest part for me was typing on a phone because my hands would hurt, but other than that it wasn't bad. There is nothing hard about the job, I would just say a little tedious at points. I did learn about some new interesting things going on in the area and some of them I participated in. I would definitely work for Appen again.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appen. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Appen with

• Appen
  • Independent Consultant
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?