Appen

Appen Employee Reviews for Social Media Specialist

Social Media Specialist196 reviews

Pays too little

Confusing work. Pays too little and independent contractor taxes end up eating a big chunk of that already small pay. I got my contract terminated for no reason with now warning.

Great place extra income

As per the summary I work here as freelance Social Media and search engine evaluator. This is a job for people who want flexible hours and earn little extra income.

It's aight

Easy work, but low pay. Not much job security so try to have more than one project. I would reccomend this as a part time job. Theres a lot of flexibility too. I can work anytime I want. There's usually an hour limit for the day/week.

BAD -- just REALLY BAD

Started September 2022. Kept getting offered project after project after project. Would apply to these offered projects and take the quizzes to be accepted, only to be told more or less: "Um, yeah, we MIGHT let you work this one. We'll let you know." Out of 18 offered projects, I was only able to work ONE. It was only for social media evaluation, but it wasn't hourly. It was just a questionnaire task. It took about 15 minutes, and you could only do it once every two weeks at 5 bucks a pop. Today, almost exactly two months after signing on with them, I get an email telling me my contract has been terminated. No reason given and no explanation. But I kept getting offers for new projects AFTER receiving the termination email. So, I messaged them about it; and all they did was repeat the termination email: "Your contract has been terminated. Good luck." Worst company I ever had the misfortune of working for. . . or doing "tasks" for, I should say.

Pros

The few tasks I did were easy. That's about it.

Cons

Fairly new might change rating based on experience

I'm fairly new. I just got my first job and awaiting the contract. They say that they'll need 30+ hours a week. The money might be low in the west but in South Africa it will make a huge difference

Low pay and horrible place to work for

Constant issues with payments, most projects are not hiring or they overdo it and start firing a bunch of people. Support is almost nonexistent and might take more than a month to receive a reply. I was fired recently and they didn't tell me why, just a week after they congratulated me and renewed my contract. I had a bunch of quality badges and never had a flag on me, so I dont understand their decision

Flexible and easy

The work is easy and the hours are flexible but work isn’t always steady. Large variety of projects to work on but some are repetitive. Work can get boring.

Good flexible schedule for awful pay

I worked for nearly 2 years as a social media evaluator. It's was interesting enough work, and very flexible; however pay is very poor. They also have not increased pay since inflation has gone up. Eventually grew tired of the job and left. I'd come back if they increased the pay.

Pros

Flexible, just meat hourly requirements

Cons

PAY and lack of leadership help

Flexible Hours

It was a great contractor job. The tasks were all very repetitive but it paid well for what it was. The flexible hours make it extremely bearable as long as you fulfill 20-40 hours a week.

Great part time opportunity

While working on a project the job is great. There is huge flexibility for when and how to work. The problem comes between projects where there may be a lull in work or you might be completely dropped from their service due to no fault of your own.

Pros

freedom to work how you want

Cons

bad communication

great for remote flexible work

As an independent contractor Appen has been a great experience and I have enjoyed working with them for 6 years. I was able to work from home during a time that I needed to, and flexible work hours are fantastic. However, work availability changes quickly with little to no warning, time on project or experience does not increase the pay for projects, and there is little to no room for advancement.

Pros

remote, flexible hours, enjoyable work

Cons

no advancement, no pay increases, projects end without warning

Never steady work, drop in hourly rate, projects end abruptly

This company has seriously gone downhill over the last 3 years. They bought out other WAH companies of the like, and then dropped hourly rates by $3-$4 per hour! Projects can end abruptly - where you can without warning, be just done. Then you have to find another project with impossibly long study guides that are many pages long, for a project you will be paid up to $4/hr less than before, and sometimes lasts only a month or so. I've spent hours upon hours studying for a project to barely make minimum wage in the end. So sadThere is no talking to management as you rarely get a response. The only others you can hear from that work there is IT when / if something needs fixing in order to work. Appen started out like a dream for me and ended up a nightmare. I wish I could get back all the hours, days, weeks, etc., of wasted time studying for projects with subjective answers only to have a project end abruptly.

Good when work is available

This is a job that you do when you have downtime or are bored and rather make money than play a video game. If you need help on a project, the chat is at times helpful, other than that you can wait for days for a response from a team lead.

Average

Average place to work. No supervision, no real management or communication. Flexible hours, no benefits. Interesting projects but definitely not a career

appen-self employment

appen is a okay place to work- people make this a choice for there work- i hear people say it's monthly pay- wrong it's every 45 days your paid- invoice submitted on the 1st and normally paid the 14th- some cases might be a few days early- I have no complaint- poor customer service- the money is not much it will pay my light bill- the more you work the more you will be paid. the money is good to get when it's paid. I have had no major problem but a few technical problems- that's gonna be normal-- i will say it is a never ending process trying to get a job. you got through the process sometimes can take a year to get the job- do not sign up and expect to start working within the 1st month not gonna happen- takes time- this is not a get rich skeem- this is for people that love data work and have some extra time to relax and make a couple hundred bucks- do not let people's review influence your decision. just because someone had a negative time with appen does not mean you will. customer support does reply- sometimes it does take awhile- there are millions that work on the platform and they have a lot to reply to. but assure you they will reply. sign up get started and be patient- social media is huge so work will always be available- make sure you have a facebook account/ cellphone- android-iphone and internet connect that is (reliable).. things take time- appen is fun and rewarding depending on your work ethics. IT will work out- projects i recommend is - new halen- for beginners- and i very much enjoy Project- Nile.

Pros

fun- plenty of opportunities-

Cons

kinda low pay- not paid fast enough-

Used to be much better...

Love the flexibility of remote work, making my own hours, and managing myself/time. The pay is mediocre at best and project availability has dipped to almost nil, out if nowhere, recently. There's a total lack of communication from project managers and support takes weeks to a month to respond to a ticket. It's definitely changed a lot, over the past 2 years, progressively getting worse, and now feels pointless.

Pros

Flexible hours, no micromanagement, no commute

Cons

Pay, unreliable hours, no healthcare, lack of communication

Ability to manage you working day.

You can plan your day. It`s important to finish your job. You can work at night or any time you want. There is a huge minus in this company. Project can end suddenly. And you have to find another one.

Good for extra income

Only get this job if you want extra pocket money! It won’t pay your bills! However the work is easy for what it is. I would recommend but not as a real career

Pros

Easy

Cons

Pay could be better

After the pandemic, they expect double the work for half the pay

I worked for Appen for a couple years before the pandemic. The pay was never great, but the work was easy enough and very flexible. There was some time spent regularly reviewing guidelines outside of work hours (this is encouraged and honestly expected) that I wouldn't get paid for, but it was only a couple hours a week and I enjoyed working for this company. After the pandemic, the systems for getting into production on any projects have gotten worse. It seems like all the project managers have been fired and replaced with people who don't speak English very well, so they often just reply with a copied block of text that isn't helpful at all. The expectations of workload have doubled (sometimes tripled depending on the project), but my pay rate was nearly cut in half. This company should only be considered if you are in an absolutely desperate situation, and even then I would advise you immediately begin looking for something better. It isn't worth your sanity to get paid slave labor rates while having to look at highly disturbing and graphic content on the clients websites.

A great company

Good for freelance and part-time. You can work at the time you are free and in the comfort of your home. You can work on multiple projects simultaneously.

good part time work

Good job for someone looking for part time work. Very flexible - work on your own time. Not much interaction with others. When jobs end you do have to apply for others and sometimes you don't get them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appen. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Appen with