BC SPCA

BC SPCA Employee Reviews

I am a volunteer

This is a volunteer position that gives me great satisfaction. The team at the BCSPCA are amazing and I love that I have the chance to help animals and give them a safe place to heal and grow before their forever homes.

Takes advantage of young passionate people

The Victoria branch thrives off young passionate people who they burn out through poor management, lack of support, poor work/life boundaries (constantly contacted in off hours, uses personal social media for work, etc.) and low pay with no room for advancement after the entry level position. The toxic work environment also exposes you to repeat trauma in the form of injured/dying animals, angry people, animal abuse/neglect, people losing pets due to traumatic circumstance, etc. without proper support. For example, they offer counselling to all staff but it is not confidential. While it is enjoyable to help animals, it isn't worth the trauma to your mental health or the poor wage.

Pros

hour and a half break, union

Cons

scheules are not flexiable, poor management, lack of support

Rewarding job

Meaningful employment with great a team and supportive management. Rewarding work with animals and helping find their loving forever homes. Room to learn and grow.

Pros

Rewarding, decent pay for entry level job, room to grow

Cons

Emotionally intense at times, physically demanding

Fun

Volunteered a few years back and it was fun. Got plenty of experience working with animals and the people were very nice. Overall just a nice place to work.

Toxic workplace

This is a very toxic workplace because of the way management treats the employees. Head office does nothing to correct the situation. The managers are always protected. They hire managers who are there to make profit and make the organization look good. Many good people have left. Employees are often pitted against each other. More animals could be helped but we are not allowed to take them in.

No advancement, can't keep management

The work is hard emotionally and physically. The staff turnover is low. They haven't been able to have a proper branch manager since COVID. Senior staff are too set in their ways and can be unpleasant to new hires. The provincial office doesn't give much support despite being a major shelter for the surrounding Kamloops area. Staff are grossly underpaid and there's no room for advancement. Emotionally rewarding when animals are adopted out to their forever homes.

Pros

Animal interaction, set hours, casual dress, face paced outside covid

Cons

slow during covid, emotionally draining, poor management, poor pay

It was rough

My personal experience was that there was too much drama. I'm not one to cry about every little thing. I'm a fast paced hard worker but I was the only one like that. It made me biter and frustrated. There are a few rude receptionist that I was always annoyed with. Management is amazing, but need to make people work harder.

Pros

Animals, Management, Knowledge occured, amazing experiences

Cons

Gossip, drama, politics, pay, not enough employees, East Van.

A good starting point, but not sustainable long term

Wonderful staff, and management. Work environment is positive and supportive. It's great to feel like you are making a difference in the community as well. Sad thing is the BC SPCA being a non-profit obviously doesn't have a large budget to pay their employees, but given that this shelter is in one of the most expensive cites in the province and one of the largest shelters they should most definitely be paying their staff more. Receptionists make a decent wage but Kennel assistants make an unlivable wage. The emotional toll this job has on you is not compensated enough. There is also no opportunity for advancement. There are two positions available, kennel assistant or receptionist. The turn over of staff clearly shows how unsustainable the job is unfortunately.

fun place to work and learn

It was a fun experience and I learned how to take care of a cat and how much care is needed in owning a cat.I learned how to clean out their cages and feed them.

Okay but short lived

If you’re looking for a job that’s only going to keep you for a month, at the longest three than work here. Most of the employees are very nice if they like you from the beginning, and management will pretend to like you until they throw you out unexpectedly. Also, a lot of the times they seemed like they would euthanize animals for no real logical reason. Overall somewhat stressful at times and a lot of pressure from management for everything to be perfect plus doing other people’s work constantly.

Pros

Nice employees mostly, pash is okay, hours were okay

Cons

Very short lived, management, unethical euthanasia

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at BC SPCA?

Fun work space, great people, flexible hours

Job is great if you love people. More so for a second job but can be taken more seriously for those that love the thrift store life and take charge of a full time management position.

Very rewarding job

Everyday was a little different depending on amount of animals in the shelter. I was the dog kennel person and so enjoyed seeing the improvements of the dogs and puppies and seeing them go out the door to their forever homes.. The hardest part of the job was seeing cruelty animals being brought in sick, injured, scared.

Pros

Helping animals find their forever homes

Cons

Management was weak

Passionate people work here!

We're in it for the animals, not the money. We give 110% because we love animals and care about their welfare. We work hard, and getting all those animals adopted make it all worth it!

Pros

Spend time with animals

Cons

Compassion fatigue

Great place to work, nice people, rewarding

I would recommend working for the BC SPCA. The work is challenging but rewarding and the people are friendly and accomodating, The achievements of the group are incredible.

Amazing workplace with outstanding team

Culture is one of the best I have experienced. Team is truly dedicated to advancing animal welfare and is very forward thinking. This is an organization I am proud to have worked for.

Pros

Staff Animals Culture Mission

Cons

My Review for Spca shelter in powell river on duncan street

well i got no time of no wcb and i was told if i didn't goto work i would not get payed if i called in sick also there was 5 min break had job issue's

Pros

no free Lunch's

Cons

break's and first aid and job cleaner's and supplys and cat and dog treat's toy's and tea and coffey

Emotionally draining and physically challenging job

Starting wage is the only wage, no promotions, no wage increases, no opportunity for advancement or to move into new positions. Frequently contacted in your off hours and due to the nature of the job lots of stress taken home with you. HR will forward all complaints about management directly to management. The job while incredibly emotionally challenging and frequently dangerous (animal bites/attacks) is worthwhile due to the awesome staff and helping the animals.

Pros

save lives

Cons

low pay, no opportunity for growth, Lack of HR support

Amazing place to work, quickly made co workers turn into good friends.

I volunteered at the BCSPCA for a year and i loved it, i eventually started working there for around a year but unfortunately i was balancing 2 jobs, both having no set schedules so I had to leave the SPCA, but I very quickly adapted to the environment there and my Co workers quickly became my good friends. Plus the animals kept me on my feet all day, and its nice when you get to spend your whole day with dogs and cats, ect. :)

Pros

Great environment

Cons

No set schedules

Furry Critters

Taking care of animals , feeding and cleaning cages. I learnt how to take care of animals. Awesome team work and job training. Hardest part of the job was cleaning up the animals waste.

Pros

Short 4hr days

Great place to begin volunteering

The BCSPCA is a place that is great for students and young adults to begin to learn how to act as an employee. It’s a very safe place where everyone working and volunteering there have common interests and overall has a very calm atmosphere.

Pros

Can volunteer at any times throughout the day

Cons

not anything i’m aware of

Great values and great people

Wonderful work staff. I am on the autism spectrum and as I advocate my needs, they happily provide for me, very kind and friendly with doing so, working on my skills and having the opportunity to handle animals is a big plus.

Pros

Working on life skills

Cons

None so far

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BC SPCA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• BC SPCA
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?