BNP Paribas

BNP Paribas Employee Reviews in New York, NY

I worked as a VP in the investment banking division.Management is a bit too politicized / too institutionalized, which constraints some more entrepreneurial initiatives.The good thing is that most of BNP folks are nice to work with, yo uget access to an international network and a vast amount of internal resources, and work/life balance is better than in US peers.
Pros
Nice colleagues
Cons
not enough entrepreneurial spirit
Complete lack of leadership and professional skills from the Management!They "divide to conquer" by encouraging throwing other team members under the bus as the only way to get promoted instead of developing a team-spirit. Inconsistent and impulsive directives discredit the Management's decisions and affect negatively the staff workload/stress/life balance.Very high turnover rate to escape this place justified by the Management as "personal reasons". Anyone speaking out against frequent misconduct is pushed out of the company by Management who prefers hiring Visa holders that will have to remain quiet and stuck in that position.
Cons
Zero work-life balance, unprofessional, toxic
Coming from another European bank (NYC CIB office) it has been refreshing over the past three years to observe much more balanced and clear management. Systems are difficult at times (though is the case for all big banks) but attention and money are put toward improvements. I like my team and division - I suspect experiences will differ accordingly. Good pay and excellent benefits. Bonuses could be bigger but that's what everyone says everywhere.
Management plays favorites and bullies out the ones they don’t like.Some senior managers can’t navigate MS Office and simple tasks. Face time pressure and politics play heavy role.
The job description may describe a great job, but if you care about your next job with what you learned, pass this one up. What is described is not indicative of the opportunities available to you.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Lack of opportunities
It’s a cliche but “They don’t know what they’re doing.” Some managers are trying to go one way, and others going another. There is no vision, just a constant battle between Europe and the US.
Pros
Come and go as you please
Cons
Everything else including low compensation
Generally felt displaced from management at the more junior level, extreme lack of thought into organizational structure and strategy so that many hurdles have to be jumped in order to get a simple job completed. There is also a lack of communication strategy which it feels like the juniors are disconnected from higher management. Also many (not all) of the directors are unable to perform rudimentary processes with existing technology, like spell check, approving internal requests, scheduling calendar invites, navigate Microsoft word and power point. There also doesn't seem to be an onus on the manager to "manage" but instead to command and demand which makes the position very tiring. The more positive aspects of working here is that at least the company is focused on sustainability banking and diversity and inclusion. Compared to another bank I used to be at, there is also a little more visibility at the junior level to the senior bankers (which is a double edged sword). There has been an attempt to reconnect junior analysts with the more senior bankers, however, nothing has changed, and it doesn't feel like there has been effort to make change besides empty. If only they could execute the strategy and communication from up top to the more junior analysts, that would help quite a lot.
Pros
Late work meals after 8:30 & Uber, lack of management gives a sense of freedom.
Cons
Facetime pressure to stay at the office late and come in early, especially with older managers, managers are unable to use technology properly and navigate the Microsoft Word Suite, strong sense of facetime, lots of admin work which gets in the way of personal development in a role of this caliber.
This is the only investment bank in NY that I am aware of that gives 7 weeks of PTO for employees VP level and above. It is a great place for those with families as the work life balance is great.
Cons
nn
Structured day with meetings with BAs, Developers and Stakeholders. Great colleagues across the globe working together towards completion of the project.
Environnement agréable et stimulant ! Bonne équilibre de vie et on se sent a l’écoute.
Working at BNP Paribas was extremely beneficial - I learned a lot about different roles within operations. The environment is more laid back for an investment bank; this allows people to really think things through and ask questions for understanding.
I do not want my review to be published in any way. Please make sure this review is not published at any time. I would appreciate if this review is not published at all
Excellent company that offers tons of opportunities to learn and grow. The culture is very supportive and encourages employees to maintain a healthy work/life balance. Phenomenal benefits!
My time at BNP was great. The work culture, systems, amenities, were all thought out, and helped tremendously in getting work done. Even if you don’t have a background in finance.
too much politic.. you need to be agreed with the senior management if not you get in trouble .. people have curious interaction between each other.. too many intimacy..
The company is very diverse, encourages mobility, provides work-life balance, but on most occasions, I feel my role requires 2 employees as oppose to one.
A very collaborative space to work for with great offices in London and many opportunities to work abroad for a period of time. Good work-life Balance
I worked at BNP Paribas for 13 years, supporting various securities and derivatives desks, working on various structured transactions and advising on complex US and non-US regulatory issues.
People are generally pretty helpful and won't turn you away if you want to learn something new. The company also focuses on internal mobility which gives people opportunities to do something different.
I was working as a consultant employee at BNP in NYC. My manager had a “insult your employees to make the work harder motto”, so I accepted a perm position in another department around the time my role was scheduled to end. Prior to my final interview, I consulted HR about the proper process to accept a perm position from consultant position and I followed their guidance to the letter. However, once my consultant manager found out about my perm position, she went to HR and got them to rescind my offer and she fired me from my perm position. They are ethnically and mortally corrupt.
I was bullied by my former manager (she was not my initial hiring manager). She damaged my reputation and appraisal, making it not only difficult working and keeping my dignity on a daily basis, but also sabotaged my career and evolution within the bank. It was such a pity that for such a female-run hierarchy, very little was done to challenge the bully's behavior. Like harassment, it is usually the target that ends up leaving the company. HR is all about image and publicity on topics of diversity and respect in the workplace, but it appears to do very little efforts to improve age-old problems of harassment perpetrated by "important" and profit-generating employees. On the other hand, I give credit to the Corporate Banking world as a whole - management and staff in general are very helpful, cooperative, and generally great to work with. I am grateful for having worked with this bank. I was just unfortunate to fall under the wrong management.