Cambly

Cambly Employee Reviews

Great online Tutoring platform

I was living in Panama and Mexico so the pay was acceptable. However, low. I have been tutoring for them 4 years. Being back in the states, it is way below minimum wage and they don't give raises for long-term and high-ranking tutors. I do like their platform. Too bad that they don't increase pay for long-term and excellent and certified tutors.

Pros

make own schedule

Cons

Low pay for certified, experienced tutors

Great for tutors

Nothing bad at all about this company. I am a tutor and its a great family feeling company to work with. No minimum commitment of time..you do your own thing.

What is the best part of working at the company?Terrible management. Terrible pay. Avoid at all costsWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?The work environment is terrible What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Terrible. Pay does not match workflowWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Terrible. Do not apply. Waste of your time and skills

Work From Home Opportunity

You get to work from home and determine your own hours. It's a performance based job because you have to attract paying clients on your own and increase your rating.

Flexible for some extra cash

You get to meet people from around the world and assist them in their English journey. I've made life long friends with the students. I enjoy making my own schedule, but the biggest downfall is the pay rate. With prices rising everywhere, this is really just coffee money.

Pros

flexible, build your own schedule

Cons

small pay

Great place to work! Very easy

Cambly is a good place to work and fits any one's schedule. You can easily get time off. However the pay is a bit low. .17cents per minute amounts to $10.20 per hour.

Pros

flexible hours, management supports teachers if a student has inappropriate behavior

Cons

low pay

Very flexible and easy, that’s it.

Great easy flexible way to make money. Pay is horrible. They don’t care about the tutors, all sessions al recorded and students can do as they wish with your image, lots of sessions end up on YouTube without the tutor’s consent and are edited or misused in inappropriate ways, Cambly doesn’t care at all. Tutors are force to keep their camara on at all times but students can choose not to, which isn’t fair and leaves the teacher in a more vulnerable place. Especially for female tutors it is common to encounter rude/inappropriate comments /propositions from users, even flashers every now and then. Cambly doesn’t care about tutor safety they just want the money.

Pros

Very flexible and easy.

Cons

Your face is recorded and shared to the world, some students are disrespectful, inappropriate and sexist, flashers. Horrible pay.

Cambly has it all

Typical day at work: drainingWhat I learned: online ESL is a scamManagement: cluelessWorkplace culture: deceitHardest part of the job: students' unrealistic expectationsMost enjoyable part of the job: the few good students

Pros

flexibility

Cons

everything else

Good Way to gain experience

The overall pay is really low and managment does not listen to its contractors. They allow Kids the adult side and will decline you if you try to add the kids side as well. They claim they have too many tutors for kids. Some people get on site and are inappropiate and they will report you for petty stuff. Its ok but there are way better opportunites. they really need to upgrade and stop being so cheap. Its 2023

Pros

Self scheduling and flexible

Cons

Students cut off camera, lots of technical issues and low pay

Fantastic flexibility and students, horrible pay

The pay isn't even minimum wage for the state of California. Outside of the horrible pay, the structure of the program is excellent and the students are top notch. Most of the students are serious and have a great attitude. When you find the occasional student that isn't, you can block them from future lessons. It's easy to build a clientele of students to fill up your schedule (after two weeks I was filling up quickly, after one month my schedule was packed to 40-42 hours per week). In order to maximize your pay you schedule appointments one after another, but that doesn't allow you time to ever take a break. No such thing as a paid break in the setup, even if you teach 8+ hours a day.

Pros

Great students and flexible work schedule

Cons

Horrible pay. No benefits or paid break time.

What is the best part of working at the company?you can make your own scheduleWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?not consistent students. too many tutors and not enough students. it pays very little. 10 an hour. only get paid like a dollar if a student cancells. all my students say how expensive cambly is but they do not pay their tutors well.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?i enjoy working from home. but i need to look at other remote jobs as this one does not pay well enough with the amount of students you get or do not getWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?log on and teach. you can just be on stand by or you can have reservations.

Ok

Weird students. Working at cambly was very demanding. New students were allowed to be inappropriate with no repercussions and we were forced to show ourselves to these student with no option to turn off video.

Hard to find students

Hard to earn money so not worth it. You need to find students that are fixed and you can give lessons to by scheduling them otherwise its a waste of time.

Easy job.

Easy work. Poor pay. Great students and lots of opportunities to learn about other cultures. Able to set own hours but the pay is poor and with the cost of living going up, it can be challenging to work so much for so little.

Pros

Easy work and you learn from other cultures.

Cons

The pay is too low.

Exploitative, just a number. Company has no desire to provide service

As a professional teacher, I find Cambly to be a very very frustrating platform to work with. Students, especially beginners are given unrealistic expectations about the outcome of their time on this platform. the interface is simply not powerful enough to give beginner and intermediate students the experience that they need to learn, for this you see many students sign up when there are promotions at heavily discounted prices, only to see them not return once their first subscription is over.From a technical point of view, the platform is very demanding on computing power and is reliant on using only Chrome, which in itself is very CPU and RAM intensive. it is common that even with a very powerful laptop and a 100 GB connection that calls will not connect or will drop out either the video or the audio or both during a class. Issues that I do not experience on other platforms. It baffles me that one moment I can be giving a crystal clear presentation on Skype or Zoom, the next I will teach a class on Cambly and it feels like I am trying to deliver a class on an old Nokia flip phone, in a hurricane.These technical issues and the overhyped expectations that the company gives to its students couped with their ratings system and priority hours system leads to Cambly being one of the most infuriating corners of the internet that I have ever been in.The ratings system punishes teaches that work high volumes as students will simply mark a teacher negatively if the system drops out for even a few seconds, and will punish a teacher if they are not showing signs of fluency over -

Pros

Few

Cons

Unpaid time, little aftercare, unprofessional

Bad

Low, stagnant pay and bad management compared to other online teaching jobs. Management do very little to help deal with bad students, and don't listen to employee feedback

Overall okay

The pay is low (and you get paid for each minute you talk and no bonuses), and there are no opportunities for advancement, but you can make your own schedule.

This is an awful company to work for

They treat you like a number, pay you when they feel like it and management is the definition of toffs sitting in ivory towers. The students are lovely most of the time but increasingly, I really resent working for this company

Pros

Flexibility of hours

Cons

almost everything else

Great place to gain online teaching experience.

Cambly is the perfect place to teach yourself how to be an online tutor. There are a lot of support materials, and some videos to help you work through them so you can learn to interact with students. You can also find help on Youtube, but that's about it. The good news is you can gain confidence on Cambly, then transfer your new skills to a better paying platform. You can also work as little as much as you want, whenever you want. Which is great. The DOWNSIDE is the pay is practically nothing. You can work yourself up to 12 an hour if you get hired for CamblyKids, but if you reach that point of proficiency, you're really much better off moving on. There's no lower pay than Cambly. Even the 8.00 an hour isn't guaranteed.

Pros

Low threshold to getting hired, completely flexible hours, great experience builder

Cons

Extremely low pay for work that requires high skill level

meeting great students from around the world

Great company and curriculum, just LOW LOW payVery dubious rating system - can never get a clear answer on what goes into the rating...since most students rate down for technology issues - although Cambly says the do not. I have asked students the question...so you could have ratings that vary wildly from week to week. If you don't mind the low pay even if you have degrees....a good part time job. I would do much more on Cambly, but it pays so little for experienced tutors/teachers.

Pros

flexible

Cons

pay

Great

If I made more money working at cambly I would do It full time and nothing else. I love my students and I love teaching English. For me it's a dream job that I wish I could make full time. Great part-time gig that's quite flexible especially at night and weekends.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cambly. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Cambly with