City University of Hong Kong 香港城市大學

City University of Hong Kong 香港城市大學 Employee Reviews

Hong Kong47 reviews

Very Good

It is a nice place to work. Environment is good too. Freedom in doing research. Many things to learn and explore. I would definitely recommend it to anyone out there

Good place for a short time

The difficulty of the job for contract-based researchers like postdocs mostly depend on someone's supervisor and people could have very different experiences. Although it was not my personal experience, some research groups have to come to the office during the weekends for their weekly group meetings.

Pros

Competitive salary compared to other universities overseas, Super convenient location, Above average and non-expensive food in canteens, Good library, Nice sports centre available to all staff, amazing outdoor swimming pool

Cons

Free medical and dental clinic on campus, No offer of private medical care to contract research staff, The too small and compact working environment for some research staff

Some depts are good

I am currently working with a very nice boss and excellent colleagues here. But the management of Cityu is a mess. Unfair salary policy among same band. Don't go Finance Office.

Pros

No layoff - even your performance keeps terrible all the time

Cons

Working with many stupid people

Productive but not many opportunities for job advancement

Great place to do research as an early-career postdoc with Faculty and international exposure. Projects are generally interesting and labs are well-equipped. However, after postdoc, there is not much opportunity in academia or industry locally. Need to move to another place unfortunately to really " settle"

Terrible place with micromanagement and top-down policy imposition without consultation

The administrative staff are very efficient, professional and courteous in general. The medical coverage is good since it covers dependants but it's also been going down since I joined. In the 15+ years I'd worked there I've seen high turnover. Vacancies from staff members lost to retirement or other reasons were seldom replaced--meaning that the staff who remained would need to shoulder much more workload. This unfair situation was allowed to continue for years. Much emphasis is on rising in world academic ranking but students' voice is seldom heard. If you aspire to be a good teacher this is not the place to be, but if you are a star researcher you'll probably find your success here.

Pros

Medical coverage that helps give a peace of mind especially when you have a young family to raise, great support from admin team

Cons

Long hours, very little workload management, poor communication from management, oppressive environment where staff and students are not respected, pseudo-consultative meetings

Boss is crazy

My immediate supervisor who is crazy, always blames the staff and even asked to report to police just because the staff take something from his pigeon hole to his office before he left office. He even blamed the staff when the staff contacted him when he was taking his holiday. Rude and impolite!

Poor Culture

The management do not trust their staff and there is no team work here. No matter how much effort you did for 99% of your duty, you will be blame for the 1 % fault. Warning letter is their usual weapon and as tools for the management to terminate the contract staff or put a bad record on the performance review. Old permanent staff were forced to retired earlier. It is stressful working here as the management do not provide any support to the subordinate and only put burden on you again. Management do not make decision and projects drag on. I have no one to hand over my project up to my last date. Only frontline staff and contractor will be blame responsible for the delay and quality. Think twice before you decided to resign you job and join this University.

Good learning experience

It is a good company with reasonable benefits. Lots if support and administrative staffs for support. Lots of opportunities to learn as there are occasional classes in diverse discipline for staffs to enroll.

a productive place

I had wonderful working experience at the City University of Hong Kong. My colleagues were easy to get along with. My boss gave me explicit and professional instruction on how to carry out the research project. The working environment was friendly and kind.

Working at City University as a research student involved doing laboratory work, presentation of data, having scheduled meetings with supervisors, data analysis and writing manuscript for publication.

A lot of untold pressure

Although it is quick flexible and "free" as an academics, there can be double standards in the management,despite all the written documents and the actual criteria can be political and personality biased. Campus politics is severe. One does enjoy the company of the eager students.

Pros

Quite flexible in the professional work

Cons

Never know what the management wants depsite all the written materials.

Good location

Good location. Need better management. Workplace culture is good. Workspace too small. The workload is pretty big for the salary I got. Would love to stay if get a rise.

Quite abundant educational resources but working under great stress

I worked as a research assistant for 1.5 years here. There are a variety of training or educational resources to improve the knowledge and skill base, which are usually free of with little cost of employees and students. The drawback is the great stress, which can depend on the content of your research, your supervisor, and working environment. The laboratory usually do not have windows, which drastically limit your exposure to natural light. This could also be a factor of highered stress I observed on the research/technical assistants here.

Pros

International, convenient location, abundant training/educational resources

Cons

High stress

My view

I graduated from the Department of Public and Social Administration, City University of Hong Kong, so I possess strong sense of belonging here and happy to work here after I graduate

Highly stressed working enviroment with fake caring about researshers

I have started my work enthusiastically. The first advice I got is that this job is full time and I should be at work all day long. a typical day starts at 9 am but there is no end for the day and nobody cares how long you have been asked to stay at the office or lab. All the management was in the direction of obtaining the results no matter what. The workplace culture is like you are working in a shoe box with all the people who are talking in Mandarin and you fill loanly and excluded.

Pros

Friendly colleague

Cons

Stressful and long hours work

Productive and fun workplace

Excellent place to work with a great company culture and a range of benefits. A friendly culture is deeply instilled within the workforce, and this can be felt almost tangibly

Teaching Assistant

• Performed teaching duties, prepared teaching materials and assessed students assignments • Achieved 5.89 out of 7 teaching scores and received appreciation letters from students about my clear explanations, well-prepared teaching materials and friendly personality • 3 out of 20 students received offers from the big 4 accounting firms after I assisted them with resumes and preparation of interviews in both English and Mandarin

goodgood

The proferssors are nice and I lie working with them.

productive and relaxing workplace

Working as part time assistant in the City University of Hong Kong, I not only gained experience, but I also learnt to work against deadlines and be responsible and considerate. The working place is pleasant and relaxing and the colleagues are my schoolmates. Professors come time to time to check out our progress and make sure that we are on track.

Collaborative and Caring Work Culture

City University of Hong Kong is a very caring place where people are nice and supportive to each other. Besides, people are very collaborative and professional, which make work go smoothly and efficiently.

Pros

great work culture

Cons

less career advancement opportunities

Nice co-workers

I touch based with the elderly to perform check ups on their Fitbits and body health. I learnt to well-manage the work time, content and format. I also have to come up with solutions to improve work efficiency.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City University of Hong Kong 香港城市大學. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

City University of Hong Kong 香港城市大學 Reviews by Location

• City University of Hong Kong 香港城市大學
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?