City University of Hong Kong 香港城市大學

City University of Hong Kong 香港城市大學 Management reviews

Hong Kong47 reviews

Clear

Good location

Good location. Need better management. Workplace culture is good. Workspace too small. The workload is pretty big for the salary I got. Would love to stay if get a rise.

Some depts are good

I am currently working with a very nice boss and excellent colleagues here. But the management of Cityu is a mess. Unfair salary policy among same band. Don't go Finance Office.

Pros

No layoff - even your performance keeps terrible all the time

Cons

Working with many stupid people

Terrible place with micromanagement and top-down policy imposition without consultation

The administrative staff are very efficient, professional and courteous in general. The medical coverage is good since it covers dependants but it's also been going down since I joined. In the 15+ years I'd worked there I've seen high turnover. Vacancies from staff members lost to retirement or other reasons were seldom replaced--meaning that the staff who remained would need to shoulder much more workload. This unfair situation was allowed to continue for years. Much emphasis is on rising in world academic ranking but students' voice is seldom heard. If you aspire to be a good teacher this is not the place to be, but if you are a star researcher you'll probably find your success here.

Pros

Medical coverage that helps give a peace of mind especially when you have a young family to raise, great support from admin team

Cons

Long hours, very little workload management, poor communication from management, oppressive environment where staff and students are not respected, pseudo-consultative meetings

Poor Culture

The management do not trust their staff and there is no team work here. No matter how much effort you did for 99% of your duty, you will be blame for the 1 % fault. Warning letter is their usual weapon and as tools for the management to terminate the contract staff or put a bad record on the performance review. Old permanent staff were forced to retired earlier. It is stressful working here as the management do not provide any support to the subordinate and only put burden on you again. Management do not make decision and projects drag on. I have no one to hand over my project up to my last date. Only frontline staff and contractor will be blame responsible for the delay and quality. Think twice before you decided to resign you job and join this University.

A lot of untold pressure

Although it is quick flexible and "free" as an academics, there can be double standards in the management,despite all the written documents and the actual criteria can be political and personality biased. Campus politics is severe. One does enjoy the company of the eager students.

Pros

Quite flexible in the professional work

Cons

Never know what the management wants depsite all the written materials.

Highly stressed working enviroment with fake caring about researshers

I have started my work enthusiastically. The first advice I got is that this job is full time and I should be at work all day long. a typical day starts at 9 am but there is no end for the day and nobody cares how long you have been asked to stay at the office or lab. All the management was in the direction of obtaining the results no matter what. The workplace culture is like you are working in a shoe box with all the people who are talking in Mandarin and you fill loanly and excluded.

Pros

Friendly colleague

Cons

Stressful and long hours work

A great place to work

Typical academic life. Very supportive colleagues and management (while I was there). Academic freedom allows choosing your own research direction. Self management is the key.

义务教学活动

非常有意义的一次教学经历。在与国际生互动的过程中我学到很多,也对不同的文化有了初级的概念和认知。也丰富了我的教学经验。

Typical Administration

Typical Admin duty good management lack of training enjoyable and funny colleagues easy job with great manager completed instruction lean of promotion skills

Not really good

Compare to other university in Hong Kong, CityU provides low salary and less benefit. The management there is suck. The administrative and finance department never support your work.

friendly work place

good guidance from senior, friendly environment, good office management, clear communication flow with colleagues, no bureaucracy

An excellent university

I held a number of senior posts at City University of Hong during the period 1990-2010. I was involved in Management, teaching and research in areas of Applied Mathematics.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City University of Hong Kong 香港城市大學. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

City University of Hong Kong 香港城市大學 Reviews by Location