City University of Hong Kong 香港城市大學

Hong Kong47 reviews

Clear
3.7Pay & Benefits

Very Good

It is a nice place to work. Environment is good too. Freedom in doing research. Many things to learn and explore. I would definitely recommend it to anyone out there

Productive but not many opportunities for job advancement

Great place to do research as an early-career postdoc with Faculty and international exposure. Projects are generally interesting and labs are well-equipped. However, after postdoc, there is not much opportunity in academia or industry locally. Need to move to another place unfortunately to really " settle"

Terrible place with micromanagement and top-down policy imposition without consultation

The administrative staff are very efficient, professional and courteous in general. The medical coverage is good since it covers dependants but it's also been going down since I joined. In the 15+ years I'd worked there I've seen high turnover. Vacancies from staff members lost to retirement or other reasons were seldom replaced--meaning that the staff who remained would need to shoulder much more workload. This unfair situation was allowed to continue for years. Much emphasis is on rising in world academic ranking but students' voice is seldom heard. If you aspire to be a good teacher this is not the place to be, but if you are a star researcher you'll probably find your success here.

Pros

Medical coverage that helps give a peace of mind especially when you have a young family to raise, great support from admin team

Cons

Long hours, very little workload management, poor communication from management, oppressive environment where staff and students are not respected, pseudo-consultative meetings

Good learning experience

It is a good company with reasonable benefits. Lots if support and administrative staffs for support. Lots of opportunities to learn as there are occasional classes in diverse discipline for staffs to enroll.

Good location

Good location. Need better management. Workplace culture is good. Workspace too small. The workload is pretty big for the salary I got. Would love to stay if get a rise.

Highly stressed working enviroment with fake caring about researshers

I have started my work enthusiastically. The first advice I got is that this job is full time and I should be at work all day long. a typical day starts at 9 am but there is no end for the day and nobody cares how long you have been asked to stay at the office or lab. All the management was in the direction of obtaining the results no matter what. The workplace culture is like you are working in a shoe box with all the people who are talking in Mandarin and you fill loanly and excluded.

Pros

Friendly colleague

Cons

Stressful and long hours work

Productive and fun workplace

Excellent place to work with a great company culture and a range of benefits. A friendly culture is deeply instilled within the workforce, and this can be felt almost tangibly

Collaborative and Caring Work Culture

City University of Hong Kong is a very caring place where people are nice and supportive to each other. Besides, people are very collaborative and professional, which make work go smoothly and efficiently.

Pros

great work culture

Cons

less career advancement opportunities

part time Job

Dr. Talamini is very strict person, who usually ask me to do the best.

Pros

learn a lot

Cons

Some time it is difficult to keep the balance between study and work.

工作时间有弹性,工作环境少,压力不大

每天工作已浏览修改网页为主,工作时间适中,工作中通过大量阅读提升了英文阅读速度,上级和同事都友好体贴,为每个职员安排不同的工作时间,从而平衡工作和生活,工作中我最喜欢与同事合作交流,此外,广东话交流对我会造成些许困难,不过遇到不懂的地方可以用英文替代。

Productive and fun job

very talented people work here casual working environment could be challenging if you want to be a success here should have worked harder and learnt more

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City University of Hong Kong 香港城市大學. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

City University of Hong Kong 香港城市大學 Reviews by Location