Head Start

Head Start Employee Reviews

I am a volanteer

I am a volunteer in head start They have a nice service and they are take care the children I say to evry one from head start think you for your help

Awful

Your classroom might contain several children with IEPS and no support staff, there is regulation. The management is awful. You can be moved into a different classroom, building, ect. with an hours notice. They can change your hours after you are already hired. If you are a teacher the amount of paperwork you do is more than the city school system and if you are at a full day center they give you no time to do it. There will always be a problem with something you doing. The turn over rate is insane. There are people who have been working for ten years with a degree and still get paid minimum wage. If you’re thinking about going back to school, the only offer $500 a semester. Good luck to you, but if I were in your shoes I’d be running away.

Pros

Good PTO (4weeks) and ten paid holidays.

Cons

Everything Else

To many curriculums. Don't allow disciple.

School districts are much better to work in. No back up from head manager. Several students needed IEP they did not agree to this. Needed more reliable teacher aids.students were in a full day program but only attention span is a half day. The infant -3 program good but not the preschool. Find another program that helps students at risk.

Pros

Cons

No lunch breaks

What is the best part of working at the company?Children are the best part of working at Head Start.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The most stressful part of working there is no administrative help.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?The culture is “get your own help because I’m not going to help you “. The work environment is demanding.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Teaching the kids and monitoring the classroom behaviors is the typical day.

Fun workplace.

Great place if you love working with kids and truly care about them and there education. Pay isnt the best and you find more people are in it for the kids than they pay.

What is the best part of working at the company?Seeing the positive changes in families!What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Driving on icy roads in the winter to visit families in Montana.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Sometimes it could be very stressful as they were requiring me to do 2-3 jobs of others instead of my own job.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Get in earlier than required to answer phones, open up and get breakfast going. Help in classrooms when someone was late. Then prepare for my home visits for the day.

Productive work

I worked for Head Start as a substitute/on call about 5/6 years ago. At the time it was a good place to work. The management team was really nice. This is a great place work if you are passionate about children.

Terrible

Management and HR are incompetent and fake! They change your schedule whenever they want. If you want anything for the children or classroom it will be out of pocket. Zero support if there are any issues. Lack of respect in every aspect. I wouldn’t let my worse enemy work here. And if you get hired it takes about three months for you to be cleared to work there. I should’ve taken that as a sign and just found another job. Don’t be bamboozled, apply anywhere else!!

Pros

You may have amazing coworkers and the children will melt your heart

Cons

Pay, healthcare, environment

Good experience/Low Pay

I learned a lot from the curriculum and it that treachery. The pay was too low for me to stay long term. A positive was that they paid for my CDA training.

High turn over rate. Too many kids in a classroom.

It is not worth the stress or the pay. Their is a constant turnover of managment and teachers. They would put more children in a classroom when they didn't have enough teachers.

It's not what you know, it's who you know.

Employees at the individual centers call their friends at central office to get things done their way. No need for managers. The employees who have been there a while run the place the way they want it, do what they want, then tattle to central office when things don't go their way or they don't like a new manager. They do not follow state guidelines and have questionable discipline rules for children. Someone needs to look into this place. Low pay, no raise and never want you to take a day off. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD HERE AND NEVER WORK HERE!

Pros

summers off with pay

Cons

No breaks, must eat lunch with children

What is the best part of working at the company?The interactions with students and the extra deposits due to covid .What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The management and most of the teachers are very rude and have a lack of humanity. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Not friendly. Management shows favoritism.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Very busy and a lack of materials and time to be prepared. Heavy workload

Great mission but not always achieved

The mission is amazing but unfortunately, it is difficult to feel supported. I love working with the kid but my center is understaffed so sometimes have to close the room. I feel bad for the parents.

Personal atento,explicitó información detallada.

Todo estuvo excelentemente bien .Atención explicó muy bien en detalles de la convocatoria a tiempo mantuvo comunicación en todo momento .

Pros

Plan médico aportación, vacaciones bono buen horario

Cons

Ninguno por el momento.

What is the best part of working at the company?Nothing. The way the company is run negates the possible good that could be accomplished. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The administration What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Extremely negative. What is a typical day like for you at the company?Overtime that you aren't paid for.

Stressfull work environment and extremely short staffed

It is a good program idea in theory. It helps low income families, and you really get a heartwarming feeling being able to be there for the kids that are going through hard times. That's why I stayed for as long as I did.That being said they are constantly understaffed (even before Covid.. now it's just worse), the admin staff say they're there for you but they constantly pick on the tiniest things they think you could do better (when without an assistant I was doing the best I could.. and the other teachers there felt the same as I did), they pay is far too low especially during inflation right now (they will pick and choose who they want to give raises to (only one teacher in my whole building got a raise when we all asked for one)), you don't feel supported, you are constantly stressed feeling like you're drowning in work, drama happens way to much in a place that is supposed to be all about the kids.I wouldn't work at Head Start right now. Maybe when they get new management in the future, but right now it's a sinking ship. There's only one classroom open right now out of the five in the building, because they don't treat their teachers right so they're leaving, and they aren't hiring anyone because of pay.This review applies to the following Head Start buildings in Indiana: Columbus, Jackson County, Greenwood, Franklin, and Shelbyville.I may be missing a few, but any of the Head Starts where their head office is in Columbus.

Pros

Free lunches (but you do have to eat with the kids, it's not a break)

Cons

No breaks, low pay, stressful work environment, constantly understaffed, admin team isn't there for you like they say they are

Efficient and productive

Lots of work to do without the compensation deserved. Nice people to work with but long hours to finish an immense amount of busy work and the caseloads assignedp

What is the best part of working at the company?Parents engaging with the teachers to help with their child.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Work hours too short What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Excellent What is a typical day like for you at the company?Average working

Un ambiente de micho estrés

Comunicación, no hay confidencialidad, supervicion

What is the best part of working at the company?Work as team, pay sick time, vacation, personal day What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Progress an developing your self What is the work environment and culture like at the company?The work is safe and helpful What is a typical day like for you at the company?All days, I love the work there

What is the best part of working at the company?Serving those in need .What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Low wages .What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Environment conducive to mass turnover.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Over worked and under paid .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Head Start. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Head Start with

• Head Start
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?