M&T Bank

M&T Bank Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,633 reviews

I have nejoyed working for this comapny for the past 2 years now, and truly have a learned a whole lot. It has been a great experienec working for M&T

I enjoyed working here. I have learned a lot the past year and have truly grown in the company. I was given many opportunity to grow in the company and take my carrer further.

Pros

staff, products

Cons

sales

Wonderful place to work

I have worked here for over a decade. M&T is collaborative and truly values its employees and its customers. They are a bank that sets itself apart because they are people oriented. I'm proud to work there.

Inherent biases based on race and gender

Your ideas may become utilized sand implemented wide. But if You are POC…especially BPoC, it will be of little consequence. Your job title and classification may be tweaked but your compensation WILL NOT reflect that as it will for a white colleague with equal or even less qualification, tenure or experience.

Pros

Remote work

Cons

Low pay, racism, sexism, bait and switch salary and raise promises, disparate treatment

This company is great from what I have heard outside of lockbox.

Do not work at lockbox. Any other department at M&T is fine from what I have heardThis company is great from what I have heard outside of lockbox. However, there’s high turnover, terrible benefits and poor management

Pros

It’s a job

Cons

Low pay within the industry

Love working here

I really enjoy my teammates, workplace culture, manager and management team, and the work itself is very inspiring and motivating to make a difference.

Nice place

I had an amazing supervisor. He was very easy to talk to, valued my input, overall he made my experience amazing. Company also tried to get their employees involved in social justice related issues and wanted to create a safe and welcoming environment

The people are great, but be prepared to leave if you want to be promoted.

I have worked for this company for 20+ years. I loved most of the people I have worked with. If you are looking to advance while in the company, it's not easy. They still use the 9 box format to rate your performance and potential. You will be rated by managers who do not know you and you will go up against employees in other roles. It is separate from your annual performance review.Pay is below the industry standard. If you want to receive a meaningful raise within the corporation, you have to leave, then be rehired at a later time. They have been transitioning to an Agile work environment for the last few years. They have been trying to force square pegs in round holes for a while now.

Pros

Community minded

Cons

Compensation. Lack of growth.

Most of the people on my team were fun to work with

inbound customer service regarding mortgages, calls were medium in number. Systems were antiquated and hard to read, most still in DOS if you can believe it.

Pros

nice co workers, free birthday lunch

Cons

systems are old, no communication between departments, So much of the calls into customer service had to be sent to other departments, other departments did no follow through, response times were horrible, not customer friendly at all, made working as a customer service representative stressful, not enough pay for the work

Cut throat environment. No training. Disconnect between management on all levels. My Kingdom mentality.

Management is focused on "their Kingdom" and not the work. Processes for work are mercurial at best and to question them is a big "no no". Can not trust management as they will often set you up to not succeed. They often expect results via magic.Coworkers are fine as long as you "stay in your lane". Bottom line: Do not question anything or anyone.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Toxic work environment. Not a trustworthy place to be in.

Company culture

I would work there again. I really liked the culture and opportunities afforded me while I was there. The pay was good for the job role I had. As with most companies, there are certain managers that might not be up to there positions, but I had good managers for the most part.

Pros

Flexible hours, healthcare

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at M&T Bank?

Careful they will make up reasons to write you up, Fire you with NO notice or corrective action

This company is a side show. 40 mins plus hold times to call in, then more 30 min holds to get to the right department. Reps couldn't care about customers if we wanted to because if you weren't hitting 10 calls per hour you were out the door. But yet you couldn't cold transfer so you got to hold for 20,30,40 mins with the customer and kill your metrics and have a customer upset about 2 hours wasted to address a simple issue.

Pros

Literally nothing. Don't apply here. Or apply and never answer. They suck.

Cons

They micromanage the heck out of the call center

Rewarding work led by middle management who lacks empathy

While the work matters, the message from Senior leaders is not brought to fruition by middle managers in several departments. The customer first approach is right, but it’s shrouded in hierarchy that leads you away from being customer focused. Your experience will largely depend on your direct managers ability and willingness to reflect on feedback you are asked for and provide. You should ask to speak with current employees working for the boss you’re interviewing with because of the wide variability of employee experiences.

Pros

Rewarding work

Great pay great people.

I live working for M and T. Great psy. Great people. No holidays or Sundays and Saturdays are only 5 hrs. Can be stressful at times trying to please customers.

Good pay easy job

Good training room to move up can move around to different departments. Good raises and bonus structure. Some very understanding managers others not so much. He is not your friend. Could be a life long career

Alright place to work as a temp agent

The biggest problem with M&T loan closing dept is that you have not enough work or work for two people. Theres often one or no day warning about coverage and just overall the managers are constantly miscommunicating and causing confusion

Pros

Decent pay, easy work

Cons

Poor communication

Good place to work if you want a typical 9 -5. Not a place to learn the latest technology. Very traditional way of doing things with little flexibility.

Pros

Good managers

Cons

Pay lower than other banks

Good Place to start

Spent 10 years moving around company and realized that you are just a number to most of the organization and that they do not compensate or show appreciation if you go above and beyond. Typical M&T Way is to throw you into a position with limited to no training.

Pros

Ability to buy vacation time

Cons

Lack of appreciation

Obsessive non stop work culture for salaries employees

Salaried employees at M&T are screwed from the get go. Depending on who your manager is, you could be expected to work overtime on occasion (which is entirely fair) or legitimately expected to keep working until the work is done. Burnt out? Too bad, you aren’t meeting expectations. Plans with family after working a 60 hour week? Fine, log off, see how it effects your annual review. There is absolutely no consideration for employees when there is work to be done. If your plate of responsibilities is piling up, you are expected simply to keep. Working. More. I have absolutely lost it after 3 straight months of this being the environment everyday.

Pros

Security, growth

Cons

Work life balance

At first it was what I wanted but they showed their true colors

I transferred over from m&t from a previous employer with another financial institution. I was given a raise upon entry. The out me in the “beginner” role but I was more than qualified for the advanced role, due to my experience. I then transferred departments only to find out what a mistakes that really was. Everything went done hill from there. They do not understand that family come first and the management there are nasty and repulsive, with a few exceptions.

Pros

PTO Buy

Cons

Healthcare deductible. Management. Lack of stability and consistency. Gross negligence.

It's okay

Typical work day as a customer service rep is basically logging into your stuff and then sitting there for 8 hours until someone gets patched through to you. Customers are customers, a lot of the time they're okay but some of them are just plain awful. Management is here and there, lots of good ones, some bad eggs. Workplace is all about training and learning so it's good when you're just starting out. You have 3 monthly reviews basically, where they analyze your calls, these are graded and you go over them with your manager. kind of stressful. hours change constantly but you can shift swap pretty easy so its not terrible in that regard. Personally, I don't like the job because I don't like talking to people as much as we have to. It's good for people that like problem solving though.

Pros

good support system, paid training, 2 weeks PTO to start with 5 day carryover, starting at 16/hour

Cons

30 min lunch, constant performance reviews, being on the phone all day, some managers aren't the best

Typical large corporate experience

On the individual level, co-workers are great and branch level management is generally good. Above that level, there a lot of tone deaf managers and non customer facing employees that try to fit square pegs into round holes.

Pros

Flexible scheduling generally

Cons

underpaid

Ask a question about working or interviewing at M&T Bank. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• M&T Bank