Monkey Tree English Learning Center

Monkey Tree English Learning Center Employee Reviews

Hong Kong11 reviews
The jobs itself is quite enjoyable in many aspects. Teaching kids can be fun. However, the course material is terrible and you will be given warnings for trying to go away from it in any manner.
The company is terrible. Most people included within the head office are unqualified and do not understand how to operate. Some things done are quite shady and it is debatable whether some operations were legal.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Everything else. Truly.
It is about as entry-level of a TESOL job as you can get. It's okay if you have literally no teaching experience and can't find something better. The monotony is mind-numbing and for people who have any real teaching experience or aspirations in education, it will offer no challenge or benefit to pushing your career.

The hours are long and a lot of the day is spent wasted without classes. Then, you'll all of a sudden have a ton of classes back to back to back without even 5 minutes to go to the toilet.

The materials are utter garbage created by people who have no experience in creating a curriculum. The management in large part has no experience in education or teaching. They're just business people trying to make money.

You most likely won't get consecutive days off in a row so you'll never have a real weekend. You also can't choose when to take your holidays. Oh, you also only get 2 sick days a year.

Basically, the people who run this company are of very low quality and will treat you like you're very replaceable.
Though my time with Monkey Tree was brief it was exactly as expected. The job had long hours, but allowed you to work with a variety of students. I felt prepared to handle the required workload with the materials/ skills provided by the company.
You’ve got to love kids!
Different centers have different culture and obviously I was in a good one.

Great teammate is essential

Good money but of course need to contribute and be a mature person or they can kick you.

Perfect place to spend a year or two if you wanna explore Asia.

pretty long hours
Pros
Native environment and lots of holidays
Cons
Working long hours without much breaks.
Often teachers don’t even have time for a toilet break because they haven’t left much time for that.

and if you want to leave the company you better file it 6 months prior or pay the company half of your monthly salary.

The boss made money from hiring the teachers from overseas and rent them his properties.

During my time working there, I have heard teachers leaving the centre for their home town after a lunch break. The turnover rate was really high.
Cons
Long Hours
Worked with great people and learnt a lot about teaching and planning. Opportunities were provided for improvement. Classes could be challenging but meeting the objective of the classes was the most rewarding part of the job.
公司管理層時常有人離職,發生問題時不是放了假就是不夠人,沒有support! 工作時間 9-7:30很多時over time, 常常做公司以外的工作
Poor management overall. Their goal is focused on quantity over quality of education. Long hours, poor benefits and only 1 week of paid vacation as well as 3 days of paid sick leave.
Pros
the kids are wonderful
Cons
the company's owner is a crook
Great place for a teacher early on in their career. This is my first teaching job overseas and has been a good opportunity to do fairly easy work with a bunch of young kids and other young(ish) teachers from around the world.
Work days are fairly long compared to the US, but I used to work construction back home, so long days were always a fact of life. At least here I'm not getting rained/snowed on all day.

Becoming a head teacher is more of a recognition of your management abilities rather than your ability to teach, which I think is actually fine. My center needed the team to all pull in the same direction so I helped to develop some different systems that would streamline our work and how we delegated duties.

My co-workers are great, however there have been instances of what seemed like perpetual whining, which makes the day go by a lot more slowly. With all of that said, the whining usually comes as a result of long work days or an imbalance of which classes you teach, but these are both situations that are in the hands of the center manager.

The hardest part of the job is probably just staying alert for the whole day. You can gain a lot of energy from the kids in most classes, but every once in a while, you get a total snoozer of a class that really makes you aware of how tired you may actually be at that moment.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that it's fairly easy and straightforward, and is located in Hong Kong, which probably couldn't be much of a better location to hang out for a year or two.
Pros
Long lunch break (I go to the gym in the break)
Cons
A full day, with a nice 2 hour lunch break.
I learned a LOT working here, which has helped my teaching, and given me some really good experience.

I loved my co-workers, who I was very lucky to have.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Monkey Tree English Learning Center?
I've gained an immense amount of experience working at MTELC. I have taught a range of English courses, in a wide variation of ages (2.5-12). The work day is a bit long, along with split days off during the work week, which doesn't allow for much of a life outside the office. The company has grown exponentially over the past year, and unfortunately has resulted in some poor managerial handling as the company is made primarily of franchises. As the teachers all come from various corners of the world, the international exposure is phenomenal, allowing for new cultures to interact and learn from one another. Working with the younger students has been extremely rewarding in that I can see progress and improvement in short amounts of time.
Pros
Large international staff
Cons
Long hours; little holiday
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Monkey Tree English Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9