Rev

Rev Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,384 reviews

Very low pay that can be cut even lower at any moment

Good place to gain some experience but don't expect this to pay the bills. Projects are sometimes interesting. Inconsistencies in the way in which Rev's graders score your completed work means that you can lose your Revver+ stat at any moment over a single missing comma and thus lose access to higher paying jobs. Once that Revver+ status is lost, it is extremely difficult to gain back due to the way projects are scored. You'll need to complete several (around five to eight) projects perfectly in order to do so. Again, the inconsistent way in which individual graders score your projects make it a bit of a toss-up as to whether or not this is possible. You do have the option to appeal your grades but I've never been successful when I've tried. At the moment, I feel trapped working for Rev because I do not have a car and can't walk anywhere to find other employment. I will be finding employment elsewhere as soon as I am able.

Pros

work from home

Cons

horrendous pay that can be made even worse at any moment

Easy to get in, easier to get out

Your work needs to be spotless or you ll get the boot quite quickly, which seems fair before you realize that you can get kicked for doing something wrong that is not listed in the guidelines

Doesn't pay well

This job doesn't pay well and doesn't have a lot of work available. It is nice to work from home in your spare time. Always paid on time. The style guide can be tricky to master, there are a lot of exceptions to the rules.

Independent Transcriber position with self-determined scheduled

Overall, this is a decent company to work for. The onboarding process is not very difficult. You will be considered an Independent Contractor, not an employee.You choose when you want to work and are able to select the projects you want to transcribe. It will only provide you a small, supplemental income and unfortunately, the pay is not very good for the time-consuming transcription projects you will be working on.

Slave wages and excessive rules

We were paid $50c per minute of audio transcribed, mind you one minute of audio can take 5-10 min. You’ll end up working 3 hours just for $10.Very competitive to find work. You’ll spend hours waiting for a single job, only to find that the audio quality is impossible to transcribe…Not enough appreciation / rewards for consistent hard work on projects. Just an occasional “free pass” once a year if your grade points drop.

Easy freelance work, sometimes available projects are scarce.

As someone who only did freelance work, it was pretty simple. Grading guidelines got better in 2021, and most jobs now come with auto-generated text to build off of. However, available jobs are not guaranteed and sometimes there will simply be no work to be done.

It’s a really great place to work at .Work hours are flexible ,you choose when you want to work and how much work you want to do.It’s very relaxed in that sense but the work itself needs immense time and focus. You have to really pay attention to every single letter to type.

What is the best part of working at the company?Flexibility What is the most stressful part about working at the company?No advancement, no recognition for repeat kudos from customers, poor pay

It's okay as a side gig, but not reliable income

You basically are given a list of audio files to listen to and transcribe. Much of the audio files don't have good audio quality, but it's not impossible to find ones that do. 10 minutes of audio will take around 30 or more minutes to transcribe, depending on your speed and accuracy. It's definitely not reliable since there will be days where there's barely any audio available.

Pros

- No set schedule, work when you want, Once you sign up your account is going to be there for a long time, I've taken month-long breaks and I still have my account, You can start a project and decide to drop it within a set amount of time without any consequences

Cons

- A huge portion of the audio files are bad quality and indecipherable, Pay is not that high, Tedious work

Waste of time

The pay is low for the amount of effort given, the graders are not doing their job right most of the time, and there are barely any projects to transcribe anymore

Average pay, anytime account closure

Job availability is good, but they have a tendency to close accounts out of the blue with no real reason. Nowadays funds accumulated before account closure are not paid to vendor.

Sabotaged by Incorrect Reviews/Ratings by Coworkers

I enjoyed the flexibility of working for Rev. It allowed me to teach during the day and make extra money on the weekends and in the evenings. I was able to transcribe interesting interviews for a variety topics. My scores were high and I had progressed to the next level. Unfortunately, I spent hours on a particular transcript googling names and medical info so it would all be correct. Work was submitted and a "coworker" decided to give me the lowest score possible on all aspects (1 out of 5). The company terminated my contract and I was not given an option to defend myself and prove I researched and did the work correctly. It's clear that some people majorly lowball coworkers to try to get the competition terminated and there is nothing you can do about it. It's unfortunate because I enjoyed the job and it was a perfect fit for my needs.

Rev pays on time weekly.

I have enjoyed working with Rev for the most part. It is very flexible. I think that the pay could be improved though. It comes out to about $5-6 per hour worked. This job is good for side money or as a temporary place to make money.

Pros

Flexible, pays on time, relatively easy work

Cons

Pay is too low

Flexible

It's a great job for making your own schedule if you can stick to it, however you have to be dedicated to make something of it. If you have problems, fellow transcriptioners/captioners are willing to give advice if they have encountered the same problem or to help you find an answer if they haven't. A very nice way to make money if you're in between jobs or looking for extra cash.

Pros

flexible, supportive, promotions

Cons

no health benefits

Easy money when demand is high

randomized availability of jobs. some days have a lot of good ones, some days a lot of bad. it’s nothing to write home about. i use it to get an extra few dollars if i want something small.

Great if you seek flexibility, but poor management and low pay

The grading system is unfairly harsh and done by Revvers. A 30-minute transcript that took hours of work and research was graded as "not customer ready" because of 5 omissions (mostly one-word reactions that weren't relevant to the conversation) and 2 small punctuation errors (which I doubt the customer would notice themselves). This was a non-verbatim project, and it lowered my overall rating significantly, even though I've received 5/5 ratings for 85-90% of my projects.

Pros

Flexible working hours

Cons

Time-consuming, low pay, unfair/harsh grading

Don’t do it unless you’re desperate

You have to fight for jobs and the amount of work you need to put in doesn’t equal the pay which is far less than livable. They also fired all California workers rather than pay living wages.

Lots of work, pay is eh

All about luck to be honest because most audios are really bad quality and hard to decipher anything really plus all the good quality audios are already taken even if you refresh it. For the amount of hours you put into one audio and looking at the pay, it’s not worth it. The only thing is that you can work anytime you’d like, basically the only good thing working here is flexibility

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

low pay for a lot of work

Great if you like working from home, but the pay is peanuts

The low pay is typical for this kind of online contract work, and you see comparable rates with something like Amazon Mechanical Turk. It's a shame, because working from home at your own pace and on your own schedule is essentially the paradisiacal setup. Some of the audio assignments can be fascinating and enjoyable; most client projects, however, are recorded in insufferably bad audio quality. This is a fun job to supplement your main income.

very tight deadline with very bad and unexperienced grading team

I am working on subtitles' translation. The deadline was good but now they made it very tight. Then they ask for very high quality translation. How is that? If you are making tough grading, so you have to extend the deadline somewhat.

Great variety of work material

You will encounter a rich and fulfilling range of material for your captioning pleasure. Whether it's a six-voice, 90% crosstalk vlogger family, a computer science lecture, or a B2B sales voiceover* sequence, there's something for you at Rev as long as you read the style guide and don't make mistaeks. People are pretty helpful on the forum. My average ratio is 4.1:1 with average hourly earnings of $9.93/hr ranging from $5.56/hr (54 cents per minute at 6:1) to $13.86/hr (72 cents per minute at 3.1:1).*which makes one wonder why captioning from scratch was necessary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rev. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Rev with