South China Morning Post

6. Good company culture

7. Big company

8. Great boss

9. Colleagues are friendly and willing to help each other
Pros
Big corp
Cons
Big corp
Colleagues are nice and kind. Salary is reasonable.
The number of stories published by most editors daily ranges from 8 to 10 stories. The days typically run for eight hours. You coordinate with the next shift when they report for work.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
manager willing to teach, the environment not bad, do not always OT
Pros
no OT
Cons
sales target
South China Morning Post has a long and significant history in media in Hong Kong. During working in South China Morning Post, I maintain and trained up how to deal with large corporation and relationship building with the most largest corporation in various industry
I have been working with SCMP for 20 years. I am responsible for taking care of shuttle service, company car arrangement, office administration work, staff card service, etc.
Pros
I can off duty on time.
Cons
bad working environment, no training, bad ventilation., managment only care about those department that can make profits.
I was a helper at several events and I was treated fairly.
SCMP is one of the best english publication company in Hong Kong and I am proud to be one of them. Work is fun and productive and I learnt a lot of practical skills that I wont be able to learn at school
lack of progression, and seldom recognize the work you've done
Pros
nice colleagues
Cons
no career path
A typical day at work involves editing of staff-written articles and occasional wire service rewriting. Also writing of headlines and captions.Upper management seems unconcerned with its employees and treats them as if they are interchangeable parts. Cafeteria was provided because there were no restaurants nearby. Work hours were consistent -- 10am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. Co-workers are pleasant. The hardest part of the job is daily deadlines. The job is at its best when people comment on information they've gained through the publications.
Pros
Consistent hours, constantly challenging, reasonably good health insurance
Cons
Raises are few and far between, retirement required at age 60
It should be HK's hometown newspaper but is so caught up in commercialization that it neglects it's local constituency. It should also be the NYT of Asia if it worked better to produce original, confident reporting of reporting. Top managers are pro-China and do not balance their stories. Young journalists aren't taught or encouraged to improve leaving over-worked subeditors to improve/re-write stories. There are a few bright, shining examples of professional journalists who are hungry to tell Hong Kong's stories and I hope they are able to grow but sadly I am not encourage by the recent purchase of the SCMP by Alibaba to bring it into China's sphere of influence.
Pros
video production
Cons
management lacking in strategy
While great for the resume and a good place to better your skill set, I highly advise that you only see the SCMP as a stepping stone to better jobs after 2 years there.
Pros
Good for the resume
Cons
Office politics makes you wish you had 360 degree vision.
I great place to start your career. Supportive colleagues and superiors. Outside the department the company is a less congenial filled with stereotypical office colleagues who would do very well as politicians.
Pros
Good for the resume
Cons
Office politics makes you wish you had 360 degree vision.
The best editors in China work at the South China Morning Post. And the quality never wavers.
Pros
Fantastic Editors