South China Morning Post

South China Morning Post Employee Reviews

Hong Kong16 reviews

its ok

a lot of opportunities working with big brands. Workload is big especially after the lay off. overall work culture is ok, most people just look out for themselves

規矩多,簡單事情復雜處理,程序繁多,外表西化,內裏守舊

不信任員工,規矩多,簡單事情復雜處理,程序繁多,外表西化,內裏守舊,,唔知道深層司機工作壓力,外行管內行,人工再高都唔做,一個月返四五日,唔做都冇乜損失,完全冇機會培養歸屬感可言

Pros

冇乜

Cons

規矩多,簡單事情復雜處理,程序繁多,外表西化,內裏守舊

A good working place with a lot of friendly staff

1. Good working environment 2. Decent management 3. Great team spirit 4. Good benefits 5. Great support team 6. Good company culture 7. Big company 8. Great boss 9. Colleagues are friendly and willing to help each other

Pros

Big corp

Cons

Big corp

Good for part time

Colleagues are nice and kind. Salary is reasonable.

Typical day

The number of stories published by most editors daily ranges from 8 to 10 stories. The days typically run for eight hours. You coordinate with the next shift when they report for work.

Pros

Na

Cons

Na

good guidance

manager willing to teach, the environment not bad, do not always OT

Pros

no OT

Cons

sales target

The biggest english news media in Hong Kong

South China Morning Post has a long and significant history in media in Hong Kong. During working in South China Morning Post, I maintain and trained up how to deal with large corporation and relationship building with the most largest corporation in various industry

worst working environment

I have been working with SCMP for 20 years. I am responsible for taking care of shuttle service, company car arrangement, office administration work, staff card service, etc.

Pros

I can off duty on time.

Cons

bad working environment, no training, bad ventilation., managment only care about those department that can make profits.

Employer was nice

I was a helper at several events and I was treated fairly.

SCMP is one of the best english publication company in Hong Kong and I am proud to be one of them. Work is fun and productive and I learnt a lot of practical skills that I wont be able to learn at school

Relax

lack of progression, and seldom recognize the work you've done

Pros

nice colleagues

Cons

no career path

Daily newspaper about average

A typical day at work involves editing of staff-written articles and occasional wire service rewriting. Also writing of headlines and captions.Upper management seems unconcerned with its employees and treats them as if they are interchangeable parts. Cafeteria was provided because there were no restaurants nearby. Work hours were consistent -- 10am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. Co-workers are pleasant. The hardest part of the job is daily deadlines. The job is at its best when people comment on information they've gained through the publications.

Pros

Consistent hours, constantly challenging, reasonably good health insurance

Cons

Raises are few and far between, retirement required at age 60

So much potential, but lacking in leadership and strategy

It should be HK's hometown newspaper but is so caught up in commercialization that it neglects it's local constituency. It should also be the NYT of Asia if it worked better to produce original, confident reporting of reporting. Top managers are pro-China and do not balance their stories. Young journalists aren't taught or encouraged to improve leaving over-worked subeditors to improve/re-write stories. There are a few bright, shining examples of professional journalists who are hungry to tell Hong Kong's stories and I hope they are able to grow but sadly I am not encourage by the recent purchase of the SCMP by Alibaba to bring it into China's sphere of influence.

Pros

video production

Cons

management lacking in strategy

Watch your back

While great for the resume and a good place to better your skill set, I highly advise that you only see the SCMP as a stepping stone to better jobs after 2 years there.

Pros

Good for the resume

Cons

Office politics makes you wish you had 360 degree vision.

Challenging and fun

I great place to start your career. Supportive colleagues and superiors. Outside the department the company is a less congenial filled with stereotypical office colleagues who would do very well as politicians.

Pros

Good for the resume

Cons

Office politics makes you wish you had 360 degree vision.

Best newspaper in Hong Kong

The best editors in China work at the South China Morning Post. And the quality never wavers.

Pros

Fantastic Editors

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South China Morning Post. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• South China Morning Post