The Chinese University of Hong Kong 香港中文大學

The Chinese University of Hong Kong 香港中文大學 Employee Reviews

Hong Kong45 reviews

Student helper

Had good experience working as a student helper. Working hours is flexible and worked with no stress. Pay rate is fair. Great and happ environment to work at.

Pros

flexible working hours

Fair

Hard to adapt culture.They try to: We create policies and workplace programs based on what other employers do versus whether they fit our work environment. We hire employees who don't fit. We tolerate management styles that threaten employee engagement and retention. We don't create and communicate a clear and inspiring mission, vision, and set of values. Our work environments are lackluster. We don’t consider how our everyday actions (or inactions) as leaders are affecting the formation of our culture.However, they fail .

Pros

Free Parking space

Cons

Difficult to admit you as peer

Relatively flexible work hours and supportive team

A typical workday would involve coming to the office, planning and running experiments, which is often self-paced (depending on your team and supervisor).

Pros

Although there is a set time for work, our supervisors are not too fuzzed about time as long as we get the work done.

Cons

Couldn't think of any.

What is the best part of working at The Chinese University of Hong Kong 香港中文大學?Nice office, good library, OT time can be used as leave later.What is the most stressful part about working at The Chinese University of Hong Kong 香港中文大學?Contract system, no career progression

Contract only and require to renew every year

good for work list balance;pay not good, below the market;not stable for job security;management is poor;difficult to have job promotion;have medical benefit

Pros

good work life balance

Cons

poor for salary growth and career development

Collegial environment with supportive colleagues

Large organization that takes time to navigate and know the people in different departments. Policy changes quickly and new initiatives keep unrolling without adequate consultation / preparation, which leave staff confused and short-handed. A better management team would put less pressure on junior staff.

Pros

supportive colleagues

Cons

management can be messy

Good place to learning

Short answer: Good…Caveats/factors I think contributed:I got a scholarship/money from the university/department (no worries about finance)I succeeded in getting into a hall/residency (no worries about housing)My supervisor is helpful and nice

Good Company

It is a comfortable place to work, management are good, workplace culture is excellent. It is just like a big family and I surely miss my career there.

Pros

long term career

Cons

lack of promotion

fair workload and fair pay

Work life balance in general Take some effort to figure out the guidelines and procedures of departments Quite a variety of staff activities are offered by the Uincersity and the labour uni

meaningful but too little pay and security

Teaching a university class is great, but if you'd like to work as a part-time lecturer, you get paid peanuts and there's no job security since contracts are only semester-long.

Work life balance but less salary

Not a good choice to develop your long term career but it is work life balance. Have to manage multiple projects at the same time and also needed to follow the project from beginning to the end.

fun workplace

My main responsibilities included sorting and compiling the evaluation data for all educational programmes within the department and assisting in the preparation of exhibitions, such as preparing physical exhibition folders, electronic filings, and exhibition booklets.

Relaxed but extensive

The course of the 2 months I was required to either work from home or work at the office to provide constructive research on upcoming tools for whole genome sequencing. I was also able to work while out in the town, which allowed me to explore a new environment while investigating a relatively new type of diagnosis approach.

Pros

Flexible hours

Très positif

Présent seulement pour participer à un examen de langue, la faculté proposée de nombreux ateliers et cours de très bonne qualité, le tout dans une ambiance très agréable et positive.

工作環境

培養高級學術研究人才的好地方,並兼有科學與人文之研究。院內有綜合體育埸館,埸內設有游泳池丶網球場丶羽毛球埸丶籃球場丶健身中心等設施,是假日運動的好去處。

Good balance with life

I could enhance my basic Excel skills and It was a good opportunity to build close relationship with professor. Since I worked at home, balancing with my life was also satisfactory. Hardest part of the job was time management. I worked during my university term, so I have to manage time efficiently for both working and studying, especially during exam periods. Fortunately, professor understood my situation, so did not set any certain amount of work to do or due date. I could work under less pressure which enhanced my productivity as a result.

Pros

Free working hour

Cons

Time management for both working and studying

工作環境好

Good. Very good. Very very good. I like the job in CU.

To well use of its learning resources

There are richer resources & more well-known, highly qualified scholars in a bigger university. It is a good place for a staff to learn, to add value after work at the campus. But the campus location is a little bit inconvenient.

Pros

Learning resources

Cons

Location, mosquitos every where in the campus

Teaching assistant

The Chinese University of Hong Kong • Helped in preparation of teaching and research materials and conducted student consultations • Assessed students assignments and examinations and set up learning and assessment platforms • Received admirable feedback from my supervisors

Uitdagende stageplek met leuke mensen!

Tijdens de afstudeerstage erg mogen genieten in Hong Kong! Zeer vriendelijke mensen die erg open stonden om te helpen in het afstudeeronderzoek. Kijk er zeker met een positief gevoel op terug.

Great University

It is a beautifully forested campus located on the side of a mountain, facing the ocean. As a research University, it strives to offer the best education possible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Chinese University of Hong Kong 香港中文大學. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare The Chinese University of Hong Kong 香港中文大學 with

The Chinese University of Hong Kong 香港中文大學 Reviews by Location

Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?