The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology 香港科技大學

The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology 香港科技大學 Pay & Benefits reviews

Hong Kong38 reviews

Clear
3.5Pay & Benefits

Fast Pace Working Place

High efficiency and effectiveness. Most of the groups are working quite hard and overtime is so common here. Foods are great for both westerners and Chinese.

Going downhill

the higher education landscape is getting more and more political, so are the management members of the university. everything you do has to be ultimately politically correct. culture-wise, it depends on which dept you work for, some are very laid-back and "lazy", while some are crazily busy and stressful. overall, work environment is getting worse given the change of management who lacks a truly international vision and don't know how to run a global university. hard work is not recognized, mgt spends time finding faults instead. Not the best place to work, not the worse either.

Pros

Relatively less stressful than the commercial sector; good compensation packages

Cons

Too political, not very collaborative among depts, some are very selfish and unempathic, they just care about themselves while holding you back

Stressful

Extremely stressful. The salary/studentship is trivial. If you are not Chinese you are in a disadvantage since Chinese students group together and share solutions.

Pros

Beautiful location, many great professors

Cons

You are treated like a slave, you are paid nothing

good work, happy life

It is nice to work here, the climate is very good. and people are easy to work with. The consumption is a little expensive here. All the instrument needed is available to use regularly.

A brand new experience

Your experience will heavily depend on your surroundings and the lab you belong to. Luckily, I was able to meet one of the most wonderful teams in HKUST. While the actual work can be stressful, intense and demanding, having a great team as support lifts the burden by a tenfold. The workload is heavy, but also comes with many opportunities to learn and challenge yourself. You are forced out of your comfort zone and propelled to perform beyond your limits. In retrospect, you will be amazed with how much you have changed in terms of work ethics and experience.

Pros

Flexibility, benefits

Cons

Occasional long hours, no OT pay

Valuable learning experience, great management and colleague

Dynamic work environment with great colleagues and supportive management. Skills for administration work, event planning and organising have been acquired. Although department politics and red tape appeared among different offices of the university, it is also a great learning experiencing to know how to adapt to situation when things don't go as planned. Besides, such trend is quite common among public organisation or education institution. It was fun to work with a few colleagues who did not have previous experience in working for university department, where upholding policy, regulations and procedures are necessary. It is my pleasure to guide them during the process. I also learn a lot from the collective team work in which everyone has contributed. My managers are like my close friends and mentors, they are willing to guide us and develop useful leadership skills and standards of working among us. I am very grateful that they are willing to provide support when we have difficulties.

Pros

Decent salary for an intern-ship

Cons

Long Working Hours, Empowerment on our team may not be recognised by other departments of the university

A rewarding experience

The working environment is excellent. People are nice. By working in the organization I learnt the procedures to make things work between different departments and also get to know what students like and what they don't.

Pros

Nice campus, good benefits

Cons

Mobility is restricted