The Salvation Army
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from The Salvation Army:

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

1.) Prepare a teaching and learning marterial for the subject of workshop technology. 2.) Conduct a lesson of workshop technology to HK primary school students.
I will start by saying that I was able to gain much experience and knowledge from my time as case manager. I enjoyed working with the clients and genuinely being able to help. With that being said, I was doing the work of 3 people while constantly looking over my shoulder in fear of making one small mistake. Nepotism runs rampant. They do not pay their employees what they deserve. Play favorites. Also, I had paid over $1,000 into savings/retirement fund being told that I would get that money back. After quitting I received paperwork stating that since I didn't work there for at least 4 years I would not qualify to receive ANY benefits.
Everything that is done is based upon the "rank" of the officer and whether you are an officer/Salvationist or not. If you are not an officer, you have no input. Even if what an officer says is wrong and you know it is wrong, they can not be educated or corrected. The officers are promoted based upon time in grade and not skills or experience. The non-officers suffer until the next officer is rotated through.
New management in Recycling Programme is terrible. Workplace atmosphere is horrible, force resignation, extremely high turnover in office and management grade. Think twice before application. Don't waste your time. Search relevant news clipping for details.
Pros
Cons
As mentioned
The working atmosphere here is relaxing. It was quite easy to handle different kinds of working including paperwork, handling social media page and customer services.
I worked as volunteer in Salvation Army. I teach children varies things such as English, piano and origami which is paper folding. It was a very fun experiences and I also had some very good colleagues.
- Helped with cognitive activities set up and assisted them while doing activities - Learned to communicate with Elderly with Alzheimer/ Dementia - Helped feeding Elderly with their meals - Clerical Work ( Typing and Filing ) - Skills on Wheel Chair and assist Elderly to their destination
Teaching phonics to older kids (secondary) was a bit challenging as their level of english isn't too good but overall a great experience as the kids are quite co-operative
Management fails to support thier people. You can work 12 hours a day and still be told that's not enough. Officers are mostly good people but never question thier authority. This will ensure your timely termination. Officers never make mistakes. It is a family run business. Officers/management will terminate to hire an Officers relative or even retired Officer. Officers use Army resources like thier private property. Get used to it! The Army borders on a cult. You cannot turn a corner without seeing a picture of William Booth. If this is your only avenue of employment keep your mouth shut, do what you are told to do. Initiative and thinking outside the box is strictly forbiden here. The only safe way to work for the Army is by contract. Get every thing they promise you in writing! Remember this a "Church". If you are an employee they do not pay unemployment insurance to the state. If they terminate you, you don't get unployment pay checks.