TranscribeMe

TranscribeMe Employee Reviews

Tight deadlines, very low pay

Very low pay for the amount of work completed. Not able to access help when needed. You are basically an independent contractor with them, so no benefits of any type

Pros

No set shift. You can work when you want to

Cons

Long, long hours to make a small amount of money

What is the best part of working at the company?flexibility, kind of What is the most stressful part about working at the company?low pay rate, lack of projects, pressure to accept projectsWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?it exists if you're good at social forumsWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?unpredictable

Easy, but definitely won’t pay the bills

The work itself is fairly easy most of the time, but that’s if you can even get jobs. You may get 10 audios to transcribe in one day, or you may get none for two days. It’s hit or miss for the most part.

A great place to work.

Its great working for TranscribeMe. But they're limited jobs to do. I have plenty of time to dedicate but low job turn out. The pay rate is quite reasonable considering where you live.

Unethically low pay

This company doesn't misrepresent how much it pays, but it's absurdly low. I originally started working several years ago, and my hourly pay increased over time from about $3/hour to $5 with less regard to quality. High quality work is not appropriately paid. This company squeaks by by taking advantage of loopholes in labor law in developed countries and by hiring international workers for whom the pay (hopefully) is not quite as bad. Although I'm not sure. I did find some satisfaction in the work, but I'm done after being demoted from a team when I asked why two of my jobs were rejected without explanation (0% change)

Pros

Interesting if you don't need money

Cons

Unethically, inhumanely low pay.

Good when work's available

I've enjoyed TranscribeMe. Once you get good, the day is decent as long as there's work. Problem is, there is often not enough work available. Whenever I've needed to reach out to the employee help desk, they've resolved my issue quickly.

Lame and boring

It's time-consuming for a very little amount of money compared to the actual work you do. I don't recommend it. However, it's good if you have another job.

Good work-life balance

Pay is better if you manage to advance to different teams. Good work-life balance, but can be some slow times with less work, so not overly reliable income. Helpful atmosphere.

A bit underwhelming.

I started the job a few months ago, but so far it's just pocket money. The work is a bit much for some pocket money. I'd say this is a job for working students looking for extra cash.

Poor pay, overworked, poor quality audio

Pay of $15 per audio hour, which translates to 4 hours of work! Files are pretty short, about 2 to 4 minutes long. Can make about $5 to $10 a day. Work gets preassigned. You can't select which file to work on.

Too automated

The promotional system lacks structure. Passing the tests for earning a higher salary is difficult, which is understandable and good. The company has to ensure that a certain level of skill is being met by their transcribers. The issue is support and the format of the tests. The company has a policy that doesn't allow any of their contractors to give feedback about test questions. The only tool you have is the style guide. This is not a viable means of progressing through their payscale system. In terms of the work, the transcripts were of a good quality, and the subjects were wide in range.

Pros

Variety of transcripts

Cons

Promotion system

It can be quiet sometimes.

I like that I can work when I choose to but the downside is that jobs aren’t always available when I’m ready to work. I’m on more than one team so that opens up more work but it has been quiet recently.

Pros

Flexibility, friendly environment

Cons

Dry spells

Its fun and you keep learning each and every day

There is plenty of work as long as you submit high quality work. The payout is on time and withought hestating. Its fun because am doing what I love in exchange of cash.

If you like to work for pennies and dimes, this is for you.

20$ per audio hour sounds nice! until you realize that it might take 4-6 hours to complete 1 audio hour. If you are lucky! sometimes you get such bad audio that it might take even longer than that.

Pros

the online community that they have built is so amazing, supportive, and great to have around.

Cons

the pay is nonsense

Challenging work and scarcity issues

The files are all over the place in quality, which is to be expected from such a wide variety of clients. Work is very hard to come by in the general pool; you won't get much of anything unless you can pass the tests to gain access to more exclusive workflows. Low pay rate per audio hour means you won't make much money unless you can commit most of your day to it. Company resources for research and support are great though.

Pros

Helpful resources/staff, friendly coworkers

Cons

Low pay rate, work is hard to come by and can be more trouble than it's worth

Hard & Tedious Work, Little Compensation.

Working at TranscribeMe was a great fit for me at first because of the ability to work whenever and wherever. I enjoyed being able to log on when available and take work as it comes in. However, there are periods where work is slow, you might spend more time waiting than working on something, and your pay for the amount of time you spend working is definitely not as much as advertised. A 4 minute audio clip may take you over an hour depending on audio quality, and you aren’t getting paid for your time, only for the length of the audio clip. At $15 an audio hour, that’s only about 25 cents for every audio minute you’re transcribing. It just takes some of the motivation out of you knowing that’s all you’re making. Not to mention that the application/english exam requires that you transcribe 3, 4 minute audios and you’re not even getting paid yet nor will you be compensated for the time spent on that. It was a stressful process for me doing hours of transcription on the exam, hoping I got everything perfectly correct so I would be accepted to work. The only other nice thing about working here is the community, everyone seems so welcoming and accepting it helps boost morale having that aspect and the ability to communicate through Yammer, the social media site TranscribeMe uses.

Pros

Flexible hours and friendly community

Cons

Extremely low pay/compensation, little work available

Side gig. Deceiving pay.

I’m gonna be real. It comes out to about three dollars an hour if I’m working fast currently. Sure, you’ll improve on speed as you go but to be paid for two minutes when what you did was two hours is not what you want if you ever have to use money for necessities.The people are very nice. I use this when procrastinating other things and just pretend it’s not for money at all so that it’ll be a pleasant surprise $20 eventually. So no it isn’t actually twenty-five an hour. But the feeling you got from reading that initially sticks with you as though it were true. When you first start out don’t be surprised if it comes out as low as forty-five cents an hour.

Pros

Remote, free schedule

Cons

Sometimes there’s no work available, misleading about compensation

Productive place to work

You learn something new each day, the audio quality is poor which makes the job harder and you don’t get paid for that time, resulting in an increase in stress

Pros

You make your hours

Cons

Low pay

It's a freelance transcription company.

They don't pay that well, but they can be a little forgiving with the work. A lot of the audio depends on what time of day you log on. If you log on during the middle of the day, you get a better chance of more work and good quality audio. Early morning and late night, you're more likely to get the poor audio quality or no jobs available.

Pros

Completely remote with the option to work whenever you want and for how long.

Cons

First come first serve for audio and poor pay if you're just starting out.

The fast-paced work style is challenging, only if you're disorganized. As a student, I would prefer it as I can do the work in the convenience of my home and they pay really well.

Relatively low pay but great flexibility

Good way to make a little money on the side completely on your own schedule. Work isn't always available in the general pool, but there are lots of teams to join where there's more work and the pay is a little better. There's also the opportunity to advance to QA. The community on Yammer is fantastic, creating a really positive and supportive work environment.

Pros

Fantastic Yammer community, flexibility, opportunities to advance

Cons

low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TranscribeMe. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare TranscribeMe with

• TranscribeMe
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?