TranscribeMe

TranscribeMe Employee Reviews

Tight deadlines, very low pay

Very low pay for the amount of work completed. Not able to access help when needed. You are basically an independent contractor with them, so no benefits of any type

Pros

No set shift. You can work when you want to

Cons

Long, long hours to make a small amount of money

Fun Workplace

You earn as much as you work. It's best for people that don't really need money but want to feel productive. It helps hone your typing and language skills too.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Very little pay

Great Remote Position

TranscribeMe is ideal for me. I'm also an entrepreneur and I'm able to spend time on my other endeavors while still earning extra cash. The opportunity to advance is amazing. If you study and adhere to the style guides, advancement will soon follow. Someone is always available to answer questions whether it be staff or teammates.

Easy work from home

Grateful for this job. Easy to follow guidelines and the pay isn’t terrible. The projects are interesting and at times the audio quality is difficult.

Fun culture, lots of work available, low pay

This was a fun place to work for a little while. Certainly can't make a living at it unless you are amazing, but is a nice place to spend some time and make a little money.

Inconsistency

The test is flawed. The rubric for their style is contradictory to itself in parts. The test doesn't tell you where you were wrong because it doesn't want people "trial and erroring" their way through the test. NEWS FLASH- EVERYONE IS EMPIRICALLY FIGURING OUT LIFE. If you even get audio transcription done you're an idiot because SPEECH TO TEXT SOFTWARE EXISTS. Company will be gone in 10 years. 0 purpose to their being. 0 value towards the human element. robots in disguise.

Pros

free stress, that feeling of wanting to punch your computer

Cons

existential disassociation

Good for WFH

On average, my experiences were positive. There was always work available, and it is a good place to make some extra money or WFH. The staff and management were always responsive, but the pay could be better for what was sometimes pretty tedious work.

Pros

Remote, flexible work

Cons

Poor pay

Great flexible work-from-home opportunity

I like that I can work from home and set my own working hours. I have learned a lot since I joined the company as a first-time transcriber and been able to advance by joining various teams. The team is friendly and great to work with.

Pros

Flexible hours and cordial team members, lots of opportunities to advance through joining special teams.

Great place to work, Flexible working hours, Supportive work environment

I have been transcribing for TranscribeMe for the past five years. It's a great place to work. The team leaders and other team members are very supportive and helpful. Over the years, I have advanced to different teams which have helped to increase my earning potential. I love working at TranscribeMe.

Pros

Flexible working hours, opportunity to advance, supportive teams

Great supplemental job

Don't go into this thinking you're going to quit your job and do this full time. This job is purely for extra money, and it can be frustrating to start. However, once you start to learn the ropes, it is a fun place to be.

Interesting Work, but very low pay for effort.

TM provide great support to members through yammer but the pay is terrible. The job requires accuracy, excellent typing skills, and strict adherence to their style guide. The entrance exam and subsequent exams take 6-8 hours to complete and most people fail on their first few tries. The work is broken up into chunks typically 2-4 minutes long. Pay is at a rate of $15-$22 per audio hour or $.50 for a 2 minute chunk, $1.46 for a 4 minute chunk once you’re on a special team. When you first get started a 2 minute chunk can take 40-60 minutes especially if you have a lot of names and terms to research or poor audio with a lot of background noise. Your work is reviewed by quality control and if rejected for mistakes you don’t get paid for that chunk. The work provides a lot of opportunity to learn about various industries and topics, but it’s a lot of research and typing for very poor pay.

Vie privée / vie professionnelle respectée

Je travaille depuis mon domicile, à mon rythme et je peux gérer mes horaires à ma guise. Les possibilités de formation sont renouvelées régulièrement et permettent d'évoluer.

Good place to work as long as your expectations are realistic

The main thing with this kind of job is you will not get rich doing it. For a flexible way to top up your main income when, where, and how much you choose, though, it's great. I'm at my computer on my "day-job" all day, keep the jobs portal open all day to keep my place in the queue, then when a job is placed with me I can preview it, decide whether or not I've got the time to do it and I'm happy with the audio quality - sometimes it's dodgy to say the least. You soon get to realise which sort of jobs you're happier with. You need a decent grasp of grammar and language, an ear for detail and reasonable to good typing skills. Onboarding process is quite rigorous, so it's an achievement to get in the door in the first place. To begin with, the pay rates are extremely low, but you can start doing more of the exams to open up better paid work almost as soon as you start. The standards to pass the exams are high though, because your work will then often go straight back to the customer without further quality checks - so you've got to prove your worth. There is an extremely supportive peer network, always someone there to answer questions, give tips etc 24/7. I like the flexibility. There is never any pressure to accept a job that comes your way, sometimes you simply cannot understand the speakers' accents, the audio quality is not great, there are people talking over each other. Or you don't have the time to do it there and then. You can reject any job, no penalty or "black marks". But the community, and range of backgrounds, working for TranscribeMe is so huge that there will -

Good, helpful work environment. Mediocre pay.

TranscribeMe is a great place to work but be aware that the pay, as with most transcription companies, is mediocre at best. If you're looking for pocket money and flexibility in your working hours then this could be for you. TranscribeMe's full-time employees and independent transcribers are all very supportive and helpful, and there are opportunities to advance and receive higher rates of pay although again, it's hardly what you would call a living wage.

Pros

Friendly, supportive work environment.

Cons

Low pay.

Encouraging crowd community.

Great working community. Very helpful and always willing to work with you to help you improve. They teach you not at you. I feel very thankful to be a small part of this company!! TranscribeMe is great.

Work from Home Option for Highly Detail-Oriented Transcriptionists

TranscribeMe has very high, rigid standards for its work-from-home transcriptionists. In order to get to a level where you can make at least $12 an hour, you must pass a series of examinations, each of which require 95-98% accuracy and require app. 3 hours to take. This process took me about 3 months, but was definitely worth it. I will say that this process ensures that the transcription product the clients receive is consistently very high quality. The best things about TranscribeMe from my standpoint are; 1) the flexibility (you can work as much or as little as you want); 2) it's entirely work from home; and 3) the extremely friendly atmosphere created by the company's blog site, where posts are plentiful and the sense of teamwork and friendship abounds.

I think TranscribeMe is a great place to work.

With some patience and perseverance, after the first few months, I found my place on the transcription teams. I enjoy the work. I think TranscribeMe is a great place to work.

Pros

Remote work, friendly people, flexible hours

Cons

Work may ebb and flow at times, but overall, after the, going on two years that I've been there, I usually can pick up enough jobs to serve my needs.

Wonderful support system, excellent training.

I love TranscribeMe! I've definitely found a home here. The trainers are so helpful and friendly, there's plenty of room for advancement. In the year I've been here, I've climbed several rungs of the ladder. It's not a place to get rich, but it's good steady income for anyone who's willing to work for it. I'm happy to say that they accept nothing but the best, as far as work is concerned, and we keep our clients happy! Great company! Highly recommend!

Pros

Create your own schedule. Work from home any time of day or night!

Very supportive management

Yes, you start out making next to nothing, but it’s basically paid training. In quick time, however, you can move up, get on more “teams” of work, which makes more work available for you. The “management” is super supportive, along with fellow employees who are more than willing to help you out. Schedule is flexible to what works for you. It’s not huge money you’re making, but it is decent extra cash, and it’s flexible, and you’re working from home. For me, it’s a perfect fit.

Great Remote Company with Opportunity for advancement

Really can't say enough good things about this company. Sadly was let go due to legislation because it's an unfortunate time for freelancers but that's not really the company's fault. I worked for TM for three years and during that time I was able to advance to QA editor, work on really interesting and well-paying projects, join teams, and meet some great people who cared about the freelancers and also the clients. The TM Yammer is what really connects the freelancers and team leads. After you join special teams is when you get the non-stop work, so don't give up until you join those. Really, the pay increases a whole lot when you get to edit your own files and send straight to the client. Always interesting work ranging from emergency dispatch, race car, business, legal, education. You can join the medical team and learn a whole lot of medical and HIPAA-compliance. Able to work offline on some projects and learn different kinds of transcription software. Yes, the pay could be higher for entry-level transcribers and you certainly cannot live off the money during this time. But I always considered that the "free education" period that the company gives everyone. Then, as you keep practicing, asking questions, and learning you end up getting exactly what you put in, no more and no less. I consider myself a professional transcriptionist now and that's pretty impressive considering this is an app-based, crowdfunding sort of company. Anyway! Loved the company and experience-- 10/10, would recommend.

Awful place. Avoid.

I created an account by singing in with Google, and then realized that it was a Customer account instead of a Transcriptionist account. Oops. I immediately made another account with my second email to sign up as a transcriptionist instead. DO NOT DO THIS! I spent around 6 hours to study and complete the exams in both French and English and passed them both. I had to wait 1 day for a response from the website. Their response was that they detected "fraudulent activity" with my account and they banned me from their site FOR LIFE. Apparently, under no circumstance should you have created two accounts. Even though I never signed into the first one and never used it (I didn't even confirm it by email)! They seemed to be suggesting that I could have cheated on the exams as a result of having these two accounts. They did not explain how that makes sense, and they blatantly lied to me in saying that I hadn't followed the rules that are mentioned in the instructions before creating an account. I looked through the FAQ that they suggest you read before creating an account and there is not a single mention of the risk of being banned for life due to having created two accounts with them. When I contacted them and politely explained my mistake in creating the Customer account first, they just rigidly doubled down on their assumption that I had engaged in fraudulent activity, and made it clear that they are not interested in the specifics of why I made the mistake. I suggest avoiding this company at all costs, as they clearly don't value your time and will punish you disproportionately -

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TranscribeMe. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare TranscribeMe with