TranscribeMe

TranscribeMe Employee Reviews

Tight deadlines, very low pay

Very low pay for the amount of work completed. Not able to access help when needed. You are basically an independent contractor with them, so no benefits of any type

Pros

No set shift. You can work when you want to

Cons

Long, long hours to make a small amount of money

Pay is WELL below minimum wage, and even then, sporadic.

It was better when I first started, when audio chunks were longer. But then they slashed the audio down to a few seconds per chunk...which probably gets the job done faster for the customer but absolutely DEVASTATES the earning potential of the job. It was no longer worth it...very difficult to make even $6 an hour. Frankly, this sort of thing should be illegal. Even when there was enough work available, and I was putting in 40+ hours a week typing continuously...I never made as much as I would have working fewer hours at Taco Bell.

Easy work but difficult to get jobs

It is easy but my issues are that it takes a while to make enough money to cash out and it's hard to get projects. On the weekends, I can be waiting for a job for over an hour.

Online job with unreliable pay for extra money

This is an online job. It was difficult to make any money due to how the pay is allotted.You had to type one hour of audi, and that may or may not take one hour time-wise. However, I am considering trying again to see if I can increase speed (as a side job).

Cool place to be be.

A productive and good place to be as a newbie Companies needs to be patient with transcribers because we go through a lot to make client-ready transcripts for final digestion. It is good to reward bonuses to top-notch transcribers to increase their self-esteem.

Very flexible.

The jobs are in small chunks, so it is very easy to have a flexible work life. At the same time, it doesn't pay very much at first and the advancement tests are difficult to pass. At least you can try them as many times as you like. It is a great place to start with transcription. It helped me to get in the door with other companies that were similar but offered more.

Pros

Great place to start, flexible, chance for advancement

Cons

Short jobs, doesn't pay much, difficult to advance, jobs are first come, frist serve

Well paying but very few jobs

After a while working consistently and checking back multiple times a day, there were never any files to take - no matter the hour. It was easy to get in touch if you needed help, as well as to get started, and taught me a lot about professional transcription standards. You could work whenever you wanted (assuming there were files available) without much oversight. It was flexible and well paying, but I couldn't advance without jobs to take there.

Not enough work

Seems like there is quite a bit of opportunity for advancement, but I'm not quite sure when that will ever happen. I joined over a week ago. The application process was slow and unpaid. You have to transcribe some audio, study, answer questions about their guide. Okay, not so bad. I thought I'd make up for it later. Well, it's later and I haven't had ONE job, Not one. I check daily, several times a day throughout the day from 5 am-11pm EST. NO JOBS available. Not sure how you're supposed to move up if you can't log any tine, I found another company that actually has work available. Too bad I wasted my time on the whole application process.

TranscribeMe is an awesome work from home opportunity for anyone looking for some extra income. If you can pass the skills tests and consistently turn in quality work it will lead to more teams and higher pay. I don’t recommend it as a replacement for a full-time job though.

Easy Way to Earn Some Pocket Money

If you are good with the English language and basic grammar and sentence structure, this is a good way to earn a little bit of extra money. While the beginning is a bit slow, the more exams you pass and teams you join, the more work will become available to you. This is also a fantastic job for stay at home moms or students (18+) that are looking to earn a little bit extra. You work when you want to and don't have to work every day. Go at your own pace and earn some pocket change.

Almost a free labor scam!! Avoid TranscribeMe!!!

I worked for TranscribeMe on and off for about three weeks and earned a total of $17.00. I was not able to withdraw this money because it was below the company's $20 threshold for withdrawal. I did not want to continue wasting my time for so little compensation. I feel this is exploitative and a waste of time. The wages are so low that I feel like it almost constitutes a scam.

Online job with not enough work to depend on.

I can only describe what it's like as a rookie. There's not enough work. My first month (yes, month) I made $34. That's it. Advancement is available, but anything less than a 98.6% grade on a test is considered failing. Learn their rules to the T.

Easy to make your own schedule...when there's work.

TranscribeMe was easy to work for - it was easy to pick up jobs when they were available and I personally have never found transcription very hard - but the time spent doing the job did not always seem fairly compensated, especially for jobs that were poorly recorded. As far as coworkers and "workplace culture", there was an online group for all the transcriptionists which was kept pretty up to date with information on jobs available, questions on formatting, etc. It was nice to have contact with the other people working for the same company without having to go into an office setting.

Pros

Set your own schedule

Cons

Compensation rate; jobs not always available

Terrible place to work

Not only does TrandcribeMe pay you pennies for hours of work they give you very little room for advancement. The enviornment at TranscribeMe is very fake and extremely competitive. The people who manage the employees are extremely rude and unhelpful. Working for this company for over a month and have not been able to earn ANY money. Very luttle work available and when you attempt to qualify for a different position the exam is completely unreasonable. Very dissapointing and franly upsetting. I hope this company closes its doors because it is a company that certainly does not give its employees the respect and pay they deserve. STAY FAR AWAY FROM TRANSCRIBEME.

Pros

Cons

Little to no pay, feels like a scam

Low pay

This felt like a job that was basically working for free. Stressful, often difficult audio (think heavy accents and lots of background noise), inconsistent project availability, and making pennies for your time. Would not recommend.

Great company to work for if you have the patience to improve your skills

A lot of people like the idea of being able to work at home on their own time/schedule. Therefore, they will have to share the available work with the many others who are doing the same thing. This will go for any website you work for. TranscribeMe constantly encourages entry level transcriptionists to practice and study for additional exams. Once you pass the exams, more work will be opened up for you. Some of the exams take hard work to be able to pass and this is to be expected. They don't just give out access to more difficult/higher paying files without proof that you are capable of handling them. This is completely understandable. You will learn extremely fast if you pay attention to detail and FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS. When a QA edits your transcription, you get to see the changes they make to every file you work on and you can improve based on the corrections received. Files are rejected for low quality work. Transcribe me guarantees 99% accuracy to their clients and because of that, they cannot afford to accept low quality work and waste people's time. At first, I was a little bit discouraged with the lack of work available. After I sucked it up and completed as much as I could on a daily basis, I started noticing that is was getting easier and easier and my accuracy percentages were getting higher and higher. Despite this, I kept failing exams but after a couple months of practice, it was definitely passable. You will MOST LIKELY make small amounts of money when you're starting out if you do not have any prior experience. Do you want to know why? Because you're -

Pros

Work from home, low minimum requirements, helpful "coworkers"

Cons

Nothing the company is responsible for.

Don't waste your valuable time

I spent many long hours taking the exam for TranscribeMe in order to qualify for their work team. And, I qualified. However, it was a huge waste of my time as there is NEVER any work available. Every time I went to the website to look for jobs, there was always a message that all the work was assigned and to come back later. In one day, I checked at least 20 times and always got the same message. I have better things to do than to waste my time going to a website 20 to 50 times a day, only to be told "come back later." If you have any respect for yourself and your time, don't waste it on applying for a job here.

Pros

Cons

A huge waste of your time

They promote beginners but --

They are really going to make me start over? I passed everything and my audio B was .40 under the 97% so I was at 96.6 they still failed me even with everything else being at 100% the style guide is filled with gray areas and you expect a perfect score...How beginner is that? Just take a look below, totally unfair. Multiple Choice - Sample Sentences 3 Q1: 100.00% (Passed) Q2: 100.00% (Passed) Q3: 100.00% (Passed) 2 of 2 Audio - A 1 Q1: 99.02% (Passed) 2 of 2 Audio - B 1 Q1: 96.60% (Failed) 2 of 2 Please remember that the pass rate for each audio varies depending on difficulty. The pass rates are all in the high 90s. That is as specific as we can be. Audio - C 1 Q1: 97.75% (Passed) 1 of 2 Style Guide Questions 10 Q1: 100.00% (Passed) Q2: 100.00% (Passed) Q3: 100.00% (Passed) Q4: 100.00% (Passed) Q5: 100.00% (Passed) Q6: 100.00% (Passed) Q7: 100.00% (Passed) Q8: 100.00% (Passed) Q9: 100.00% (Passed) Q10: 100.00% (Passed)

Pros

Freedom to work at home

Cons

low wages, perfectionist, terminate you quickly, no real support or leadership for new beginners.

Remote Work

Working here is perfect for me as I have a full-time position elsewhere. I am allowed the freedom to work as much or as little as I want; plus I have the opportunity to learn and grow within the company.

Excellent freelance work opportunity if you don't mind low pay

I worked for TranscribeMe for a couple of years but recently moved on. You don't have to do any files you don't want to do. There's no typical day; you can opt to do no work or do a 16-hour day. Management style is relaxed but obviously they have to be exacting on quailty standards. Work culture is collaborative, really helpful, and generally positive and encouraging. The hardest part is the same as that of any transcription work: exposing your ears to sometimes low-quality files at high volumes. The best part was you could pick and choose when to work and what you wanted to work on. Overall, if you're looking for telecommute work with a lot of flexibility and you're not too fussed about relatively low pay in terms of hourly rate, I'd recommend TM. Study the style guides, do the exams, and really make an effort to match expected standards. Great if you're looking to make a little extra cash on weekends or in your downtime. They have nice admin people who make an effort to treat people fairly, and it's a decent and honest company overall.

Pros

Flexibility and freedom to work as little or as much as you like

Cons

Work can get boring and repetitive and pay is modest but fair for the industry

Good experience

This is a PT position and I work the hours I want to work. I am new at transcription work and this is allowing me a lot of practice time. I enjoy it. I could not make a living working here but like all newbies, I guess I have to get my foot in the door.

Pros

Work at home when I want to.

Cons

Too little pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TranscribeMe. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare TranscribeMe with