Universal Studios Hollywood

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee Reviews

Healthy work environment

Better than working at Disney. They treat you better here and make you feel valued. Scheduling made an effort to call you in or schedule you hours and help accommodate any conflicts in the schedule.

Fun environment

Pay wasn’t enough. It was a50/50 chance of growing or improving to a bigger role. A-lot of employees so you really have to make yourself stand out. Have to work your way up for a higher pay.

Low Pay and SO much work

The amount of work for minimum wage is absolutely ridiculous. Once people have seniority there’s no getting rid of them and most of the long-term employees are bitter and rude. The food is horrible and the stressful environment makes people quit and call out constantly. I dread going to work every day and it’s only been two months. I’m desperately trying to find something better.

Relaxed environment to talk with coworkers

While you’re able to talk with coworkers, the roles as a team member require you to work in a very fast paced environment and constantly talk to guests non stop. You are worked so hard for the pay that you get and you’re pretty much really tired after every shift.

Pros

Easy to request time off

Cons

Bad pay

Poor management

Management clearly has an issue with favoritism and dont necessarily get a lot of issues resolved. they over work the workers and always shift the blame when something doesn't get done. Benefits are alright but not really worth working yourself day in and day out. Pay sounds good at first but not worth it for the work you have to do. There is surely better competition out there compared to working for these people. And the union takes too long to back up their workers.

Fun environment

Awesome people. Management was young and energetic which as a young guy made it easier to connect with them. Overall a fun summer gig. The backlot perks were exciting.

Pros

Cool behind the scenes view of cool movie stuff. Backlot!

Cons

It gets hot.

Depending what department you apply for it can be very hard to get shifts due to scheduling

schedule are based off seniority and as a new hire you will most likely start off as a on call or part time with roughly 18 hours a week if youre lucky

Fun work place

Really fun and rewarding, get to dress up for work and feels like you are a character there in a movie, you get to provide a great experience towards customers

Pros

Free lunches

Cool place

I liked working there!!! Good place to work!! I got along with everyone! The environment is good, just stressful at times. Management is good. Great place to work!!!!!!!!

Management not the best, bias in the work place.

Mangers are a hassle to deal with most times. It is clear to see who they favor over others. The pay is not worth the amount you have to uphold when dealing with thousands of guest. Hard to get hours at times and is hard to move up. They have an unforgiving attendance point system.

Pros

You get free tickets for all Universal parks and have a good discount.

Cons

Bias in the workplace, underpaid, hard to get hours.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Universal Studios Hollywood?

Good to work for a short time

Growth opportunities are only attainable if you plan on becoming best friends with management, they dont care about hard work or ethics they just move their favorite employees. Alot of favoritism.

Pros

Paid lunch

Cons

No Growth opportunities, bad management

Productive and fun place to work

My expense at universal was great lot of friends excellent place to work FunI'll recommend it a great place great benefits that Have great parks Having an opportunity to work for universal studios they promote from within

Pros

Guarantee 8 hour shifts 5 days a week full time employee with lunch including plus 2, 10 minute breaks

Cons

There is no cons I'm pretty happy what universal has to offer to their employees

Best first job

This was my first job ever. Straight out of high school and started in the summer. My only issue with it was the fact that it was more of a seasonal job that a full time job which was what I wanted but I loved the people I worked with. I learned all my skills in this job because you’re working outside, you interact with every age groups, people from different backgrounds. Honestly so great I loved it whish I could have stayed

Pros

Meal vouchers if you worked in food, 25% discount for food, 30-35% discount for retail, comp tickets, free entry, discounted tix

Cons

Heat from working outside

Fun environment, great benefits, new experiences

Working as a patio hostess at universal studios Hollywood was a great day experience so much fun surrounding us, great benefits and always learning something new

Fun for the season

Fun jobs are mostly seasonal. So don't expect to stay longer than summer (break), fall (Halloween, Thanksgiving), winter (Xmas, New Year) seasons. But if you do, it's super cool. I just witness most people get let go. Make yourself stand out. Have a powerful presence. As for permanent roles (ie HR, Manager, etc) I'm completely oblivious to those roles. Sorry.

Pros

Fun, perks, free admission for self

Cons

Little hours, job is insecure

Its a fun position and you meet lots of great people.

Its a great company to work for but the main issues come down to management and it is very disorganized. Growth is possible but there is honestly a lot of favoritism from what I see but its still a very healthy team.

It's a ton of work for very little pay & benefits unless your life revolves around only working there

I think you can absolutely make a living wage working at Universal,as long as you have absolutely no personal life & have nothing but time to either pick up shifts or extend current shifts. Absolutely no tips are allowed unless you work in Vallet or unless you are a VIP(personal) Tourguide, and if you doyour job right, people will want to tip you, and tip you well, but if you value your job you have to be a professional at not looking broken when you have to tell someone that you cannot accept their hundred dollar bill.

Pros

Fantastic discounts, free access to the park, a number of free tickets for you & guests. And getting paid weekly is cool.

Cons

If you're working anything less than full time, it'll take years for you to move from seasonal to part time in pay & benefits, and frankly it's not worth it for what you'll make it

Intern

This was my first internship & I have learned so much. This opportunity has really opened doors for me in the themed entertainment world. It has been awesome to be apart of large, powerful company & learn behind the scenes.

Pros

Free Park Tickets, Employee Discounts

Good to work for a short time

Pros

Paid lunch

Cons

No Growth opportunities, bad management

You can rise to the top at USH

I LOVE my job.The most important thing about working at USH is TEAM WORKThe bad thing is, there are nights when we are very short in team members

Really fun. Doesn’t feel like a job!

Fun. Incredibly fun. Doesn’t feel like a job. I worked at guest services, and helped guests find what they needed or helped in any way I could. It is very fun working at a theme park.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Universal Studios Hollywood. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Universal Studios Hollywood
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?